2000 Camry Accelerator Sticks

I have a 2000 Camry that has an accerlator that sticks. When I'm at a stop light and go to start off I have to press down on the gas pedal really hard because it is stuck in the idle position. It kind of pops loose and then acclerates normally. I have a friend that has a 95 camry that does the same thing. I can spray the spring and accerlator linkage under the hood and it helps but not for long. Can someone tell me what I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Warren

Ed Warren wrote:

=============================================================== Common problem Ed, easy to solve. The throttle butterfly valve is sticking inside the throttle body. The PCV valve venting engine "blow by" to the intake can cause accumulation of residue mostly around the back side of the throttle plate, causing the sticking you describe. Get some sensor safe aerosol carburetor cleaner, (Berryman B12 Chemtool is my favorite), some rags, a toothbrush and a 10 mm wrench. Loosen the single clamp at the large black air hose entering the throttle body and pull the hose off to one side. Spray cleaner around front and back of the throttle valve and brush the surrounding area. Wipe dry with the rags and reattach the air intake. You're done. ========= If you want the alternate method. The dealer will probably remove the throttle body for a more thorough cleaning, but that costs quite a bit more. If they do the full throttle body service as described in the manual they will also be making some adjustments which can help the car run more smoothly, such as cleaning the vacuum ports to the EGR modulator located further back in the throttle body bore, and adjusting the throttle position sensor using a thickness gauge and continuity tester. There's also an adjustment for a vacuum operated throttle stop - a small threaded rod with a lock nut. ========== If you wanted to minimize recurrence you could consider fully synthetic engine oil like Mobil 1 and the Red Line complete fuel system cleaner. Ask for more information if you're interested. The simple cure is $2 for carb cleaner and you're done. :?)

Reply to
Daniel