Strange rattle

98 Camry, 4 cyl, 180K

Almost like a vibration going over rough rode. New struts and strut mounts did not clear it up. Sounds like its coming from A pillar and forward. Strange anomalies: More pronounced with a passenger. Pretty much disappears with a good weight in the trunk.

Suggestions?

RD

Reply to
RD

If its a light rattle, its more likely to be a component of the suspension which is not under a lot of load, such as the roll or sway-bar connections. These are rubber shock-insulated small ball-joints IIRC. A proper inspection shuld not be difficult in locating them as the fault.

If its a heavier sound, considering the struts have been replaced, I'd be examining the lower-arm bushes, the lower ball-joint which supports the lower end of the strut, and the upper rotaional mount of the strut.

Other culprits could be the brake-caliper slide-pins rattling (check caliper for rigidity in its mounts). Loose brakes pads can rattle due to too little residual line pressure in the brake's hydraulics (master cylinder) or a warped disc upsetting the pads restposition,..or the wheel itself ie bearing, hubcap etc

The rear weight effect tho, tends to point to the rollbar or the strut's mounting hardware.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I have a 99 Camry that is in need of rear struts. I was just curious what did you end up spending on the struts and mounts?

Reply to
Grump

Unfortunately, rattles are difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose without actually hearing them.

Aftermarket brake pads sometimes rattle.

If the noise is more pronounced with a passenger in the front seat and is less pronounced with a load in the trunk, there is an obvious remedy...

Reply to
Ray O

First of all I'm in Canada: $84 x 2 - Munro struts 'coz the previous Toyota ones failed after only 30km and only a one year warranty.

Labour - $50 / strut (private mechanic) Typically, however, it usual works out to $200+ / corner.

As for Ray O suggestion, I like that one best!

Reply to
RD