88 Camry starts missing badly after 10 minutes

Its an 1988 Camry wagon , 4-cyl. Well, have made progress on some problems. Have solved starter problem by temporarily jumping neutral start switch, and have a good alternator now. But now I find a new one. It starts easy. It runs ok for about 10-12 minutes. There is just the slightest miss, problably one cylinder....hardly noticeable. Then after this period of time, it begins to miss badly, then starts to cut back to idle, then dies. It has what looks like a pretty new dist. cap and plug wires. The air filter looks brand new. Car is running normal temp. Oddly, I never get a CHK ENGINE lite....but it lites up when you first turn on the key switch.

THis happens long after the car should have gone "closed-loop" , so I doubt that it would be the control system.

I think I read in this NG that there is a coil pack under the distributor that gets clogged with oil. Does this happen after a period of running? If you let the car sit for an hour or so, it will start up and run for a while fine, then the same thing happens...ever time. Don't have a manual yet for the car....but there is a squarish metal part that the distributor cap is attached to which has an electrical connection. Is this the coil pack? Autozone doesn't have it.

Can you recommend an internet parts dealer for Camry?

It needs: neutral start switch, water pump, timing belt, idler, tensioner kit, and all parts for R134 conversion/recharge....and probably a new ignition coil.

Thanks!

Reply to
geronimo

Probably the coil is oil coated and shorts out as condensation dries out, clean the coil with alcohol and be sure distributor cap is real tight, you do have the rubber gasket on the distributor cap I hope, but Toy recomends a new one with a new cap.

Reply to
m Ransley

That light is normal on ignition ON, before starting.

Could be,..but I'd have the fuel delivery pressure checked first. It maybe the fuel-filter restricting flow at the higher demand of pulling away from idle.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

My daughter has a 1993 camry which did the same exact thing after taking it to the dealership which told us it was the fuel injectors which cost 1800.00 that did not fix it.took it to several other mechanics and they could not figure out the problem..finally find a mechanic who found the problem....it was the computer which cost about $200.00

Reply to
sandy via CarKB.com