98 camry 4cyl w/140m miles-hi speed or low the mpg stays the same-why?

before the hike in gas prices i used 87 oct. gas and got around 25mpg mixed city/county driving at speeds of 65-75mph. after the hike i slowed down to a maximum of 60 mph. Same gas mileage. What gives? I thought the twits in the u.s.govt said that if you slow down it will be safer and you will use less gas. I drink heavily, smoke pot and use drugs but i am not that stupid. Why wouldn't the gas mileage go up if you slowed down (within a range of 40 to 75mph)? Baffled, perplexed and galvanized. no gas leaks etc. and i am the original owner.

Reply to
humblejohn

The hypothesis back in 1974 was based on CARBURETION, less aerodynamic bodies, and bigger engines that were geared for more RPM's at 60 mph. But now ... slowing down 10 mph doesn't really mean much in a passenger car.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Did you fill up at the same gas pump where you started? If not, run through a couple of tankfuls and average the results to confirm. Other variables could cancel out a small difference, like driving style. You'd have to be on cruise control at both speeds to really double check.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

i remeber newton:if the volecity(speed)increases there must be an increase in energy consumed(gas). I can't fathom the fact that you can go 10 mph faster on the same amount of gas. I get my gas at the same discounter all the time. I used the a/c but this would have lowered the mileage. The mileage i get is 25-26 mph in city/county driving without a/c. I am the only driver.I had better take physics again. Getting suicidal.

Reply to
humblejohn

How hard you accelerate is more important than your cruising speed (within reason), because dragging all that mass up to speed quickly uses much more gas than just maintaining 65mph as opposed to 60. I have a '95 4 cyl LE automatic, and get 27 (worst case, Winter) to 34 (best case, Summer) MPG *average* per tankful. The trick is to accelerate gently, coast when you can, and ease up a little when climbing hills or grades. I cruise at 60-65mph, BTW.

Reply to
mjc1