Front Passenger Window Problem Harness Repair 97 Camry

I see several messages regarding this problem but none explaining how to actually repair the harness. My 1997 Camry's front passenger window will not go down unless I open the driver's side door and push the console button while the door is open. As soon as I close the door, the console button for that window will not work. I suspect that the problem is a shorted wire in the driver's side door harness but I don't know how to open the harness. Do I use a penknife, xacto blade to slice it open and then look for a broken wire? How do you detect a broken wire with the skin on the wire. Do I need to use an ohm meter etc. Should I bend each wire back and forth while someone else pushes the console button? Could someone please help me? Thanks, Pistol Pete

Reply to
PistolPete

Just a guess, but I'd hazard the guess that the wires going thru the door to the body proper do the most flexing, so I'd look in that area first. To test coated wires, you'll have to jury rig some small pins, attaching them to the probes on the ammeter, then pierce the wires at probable trouble spots with the pins. Good Luck!

Reply to
mack

================ That should work. You may be able to feel broken wires through the insulation by sort of pulling across the wire under tension. Before cutting the outer layer of covering, I'd first try to shift it to one side by pulling it loose from one end.

Reply to
Daniel

Try here...

at thebottom of the page. There is a link to some interesting info onharness repair and fault diagnosis.FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Thanks for the lead. A strange thing happened yesterday. I went outside and tried the console button with the door open and the passenger side window went up and down fine. I closed the door and tried it again and it didn't work. I opened the driver's door again and tried the console and it worked again. Once the window was in the up position, I wiggled the harness back and forth and then pressed the console button again with the door open; this time, nothing happened. I tried over and over to wiggle the harness to see if I could restore the window function but it was like dead.I must have done something when I wiggled the harness because now, even with my driver's door open, it won't go up or down. I think it must be in the harness because that is the only thing I touched. Maybe I separated a wire altogether that was barely hanging on. I will have to get into the harness and examine each wire.

Reply to
PistolPete

Strange things happen with wiring. I had an '82 Corona wagon and I noticed the license plate light was out. It was an internal, under-the-insulation break in the wire. Took a couple of hours to find and about 10 minutes to fix. Amazingly, it wasn't at a flex point but in a straight run. Go figure.

Reply to
NickySantoro

The strangest thing: After I wiggled the harness and the passenger window stopped altogether, it started working again the next day. Now it works perfectly from the driver's console. I don't understand what I did, but I am happy that now it is working again. I feel like there has got to be a short somewhere. These kind of intermittent problems are probably the hardest to diagnose because as long as the window is working, it is hard to find the problem.Perhaps the system reset itself. Any ideas?

Reply to
PistolPete

I'm guessing there is an internal break in one of the wires.

Reply to
NickySantoro