97 camry problem

my 97 camry feels like it is studdering when i push on the gas peddle. i thought it was maybe bad gas at first, so i ran down the tank, re-filled and she was fine for about a week until she started studdering again. And this morning on the way to work, the check engine light came on. has this happened to anyone? and ideas on what it could be? thanks!

Reply to
twostepbec

Most of the responses you receive to your post will be uneducated guesses. The purpose of the check engine light is to tell the operator that (a) something has malfunctioned and (b) that a trouble code is probably stored in the electronic control unit. My recommendation is that you scan the trouble codes in the ECU and then you will have a starting point as to the cause of the condition.

Many auto parts stores will lend you the scanner at no charge or you can purchase a basic OBD II scanner for less than $150.00. If you get a trouble code for an O2 sensor and you have a V6 engine, I'd check the sensor closest to the firewall first.

Reply to
Ray O