high cold idle normal?

99 camry, when it's cold, will idle between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Speed comes right down though once I put the car in gear.

Whent the car's warm, the idle is more reasonable - around 750 or so rpm.

Is it normal to have such a high cold idle speed?

Reply to
mrdarrett

I have a 6 cyl 1999 Sennia, and when it was new I asked the dealer about the high idle when cold. I was told the it should go to 1725 rpm, and drop as it warns up.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

That's probably about where mine is... 1700-1800 rpm or so.

I've got a 4-cylinder. My '96 doesn't have this high a cold idle (it's between 1000 and 1500), and neither do my parents' 2001 Camry...

I'm just wondering if this will stress out the engine. Running 5W30, maybe I should switch to 10W30 to be safe... less wear on the parts...?

Thanks,

Mike

T> I have a 6 cyl 1999 Sennia, and when it was new I asked the dealer about the

Reply to
mrdarrett
5-30 is best it flows better cold in fact Mobil 1 10-30 lubricates no better hot, go read their online specs.
Reply to
m Ransley

That's funny...

This says that 5W30 has viscosity of 64.8 cSt @ 40 deg C, and 11.3 cSt @ 100 deg C.

This says that 10W30 has viscosity of 62 cSt @ 40 deg C, and 10 cSt @

100 deg C.
The implication is 5W30 is a slightly thicker oil than 10W30. Which can't be right...

Either these two spec sheets are switched, or I'm completely lost on how to read these spec sheets. ;o

Mike

Reply to
mrdarrett

The 5-30 is a different superior product, good for camrys, find the colt temp rating of 0c or colder, I have a different spec sheet in the US maybe try the US site. Mobil 1 5-30 is a better oil. Mobil 1 0-40 is their best but not designed for camrys. The 5-30 pours at a colder temp but is better than 10-30 at higher temps, it is superior.

Reply to
m Ransley

Is Mobil's oil ester-based? Mobil seems very secretive about its oil recipe...

Mike Darrett

Reply to
mrdarrett