seat belt retraction

I have a '98 camry le that have seat belts that when you release them(both sides) there seems to not have enough tension on them to retract and than if you don't watch it they get caught in the doors when you shut them. The dealer says they can't be adjusted. Any information would be greatly appreciated John

Reply to
john jerrell

I have the same on my 98 Camry. Only on the driver side though. That one is used more frequently. Also got the same answer of the dealer.

I wondered if it is possible to exchange the driver's retracting mechanism with one of the back seats. The ones in the back are used rearly. Anyone knows if this is possible?

"john jerrell" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@dejazzd.com...

Reply to
Jan Siepelstad

Jan Siepelstad wrote: || I have the same on my 98 Camry. Only on the driver side though. That || one is used more frequently. || Also got the same answer of the dealer. || || I wondered if it is possible to exchange the driver's retracting || mechanism with one of the back seats. || The ones in the back are used rearly. || Anyone knows if this is possible?

If possible, it would only delay the problem reoccuring by a few weeks.

Reply to
dorsal

You can gain some retraction using the repair procedure at this website. It won't make it new, but it is an improvement.

I used the procedure and it helped. It does not take too long and it is free other then your time. Alex

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Cute. I think that's what used to be called a Tom Swifty, (the respondent said quickly).

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Hi, I have the same problem on my 95 Camry. I have asked the same questions as yourself on here. My back ones that are rarely used are the same. Opinions seem to be " yes they are Toyota Belts they go slack"

Look back in list about 2 weeks see other comments.

Cheers Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

I too used this tip on my Tundra due to the seatbelt not retracting as it did when new. It lasted a few short months and now doesn't want to retract many times. I'm afraid to do it again as the spring is a coil and eventually it could break with too much wind-up. I just make sure to check the seatbelt and baby it to wind up before I close the door. Hope this helps, Dave

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
john jerrell

Reply to
ZZonka Tonka

is

In the days when seat-belts had no automatic retractors, there were available, small belt winders you just fitted in the middle of the slack. They used the same principal as the ones giving trouble in the Toyota now,..but didnt lose their effectiveness.

Nothing annoys me more than this problem, as certain female members of the family just get out without looking, and shut the door on the belt clasp-tongue.

However I found one site which sells them still and also mentions their use on tired automatic belts as well as back seat non-retractables. With photo>>>

Note, it's every important to install them so they do not wind on too much belt. If too much is wound up, then in the event of a wreck/accident, they will just feed out the extra length causing the passenger to move forward. In other words, the safety function of the seatbelt is severly compromised.

This means also, they need to be adjusted for each person, unless you allow them to only wind-up just enough belt slack to stop door damage (on closing).

I wouldn't be surprised if it is illegal to fit these things on retractable belts in some states/countries.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James