"Tighten" bearing, 1986 Camry (Front hub)

Mom's 1986 Camry failed inspection; the inspector said the bearing on the driver's side front was bad. He said, "You may be able to tighten it up; I'm not sure on this car."

I am guessing he means tighten the hub.

Doesn't look too hard, I'll have to look at the hub assy to get an idea of what I need to do and if I want to tackle it.

Her car is in good shape with little rust, so it should be easy...

Reply to
Hachiroku

At least on that year you can still repack the ball bearings. The later ones you just swap the bearing out. But with a hub nut, nut retainer and cotter pin that don't move, it's more like worn bearing than something that you can just "tighten it up".

The hub nut and retainer should be reusable, but the cotter pin obviously needs to be a new one. And if you do all the work of pulling it out, might as well put in a new bearing and oil seal. rockauto.com has BECK/ARNLEY bearing # 0513929 for $39.79+shipping. I'd just go to the local NAPA store.

Also check the lower ball joint and steering tie rod ball joint.

Reply to
johngdole