1992 4Runner Tires

Does anyone know what kind of tires (both size and brand) I should put on my

1992 Toyota 4Runner 4x4?

I heard the Coopers were best bang fo the buck, but they are $179 (installed and balanced) + tax.

I'm looking for something not as expensive...any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Reply to
spunkyman

What kind of driving do you do? is it all around town on pavement? In snow? In mud? Dirt? etc...

Reply to
notmyrealname

(that's a HINT) says you can use any of the following tire sizes,

Plus Zero

235/75-15 255/70-15 265/70-15 30/950-15 31/1050-15

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

YA..just around town, snow, towing.

it's says to use 225/70/R15 anywhere i can get decent cheap tires?

Reply to
spunkyman

WHAT says to use that size? The tire professionals do not list that size, and it would be a bit on the small side to be useful for very much. There is a sticker inside the driver door, or the glove box door, that specifies the tire size your truck needs.

As for price, check the Sports pages of your Friday and/or Saturday newspaper. Of course, there are online sources as well -- tires.com and tirerack.com come to mind.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I have always used 31 10.5 X 15 on all three of my toyos..

90 4x4 v6 pu 91 4x4 22re pu 90 4runner v6
Reply to
Searcher1

Stock size was 225/75x15 - but 235/75x15 is much easier to come by. Bridgestone, Yokahama and Kuhmo are resonably priced quality tires.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Inside of my door says 225/75/R15 But I have 265 on the front, then a 31/10.5 on the back...kinda messed up.

I agree that the 225 are on the small side, but will that save me on mileage if I use them? I just heard that Cooper Discovery A/T are best bang for the buck at $141 install/bal + tax

THOUGHTS?

Reply to
spunkyman

I'd be careful mixing sizes (definately NO on same axel) on 4WD vehicles - ya need to check outside tire diameter to ensure near the same. $141 is cheap for 4 tires --- $35 each! I'd expect to pay 2-3 times that. Yes stock or slighly larger will give better gas mileage and performance over say a

31" tire. Same with smooth road tread gives better gas mileage over knobby tread.
Reply to
Wolfgang

hey wolf... it's $141 PER TIRE. If you can recommend a better deal or give me a ballpark on what I should be spending per tire. THANKS

Reply to
spunkyman

Firestone Destination LE or AT, or Kumho or Hankook will be much cheaper and very good tires. Also go to Costco for Bridgestone "with Uni-T" tires or Wal*Mart or Sam's for their special version of Michelins. I don't like any of Goodyear's except their newest and most expensive models. Coopers are good, short life in my experience, and should be much lower price. Take the Tirerack.com or Tires.com prices with you.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton