1999 4Runner Timing/Chain Belt

Hi,

I recently took my 4 Cyl '99 4Runner for an oil change and I asked the mechanic if they could give me an estimate for changing the timing belt. The guy told me that my 4Runner does not have a belt - that it has a timing chain and that it does not have to be changed for a very long time.

My 4Runner has 113K miles and I some how read in this group that timing belts need to be changed every 60K miles. Obviuosly I as pleasantly surprised, but, did they advise correctly?

-Wicho.

Reply to
Joe

If it has the 2.7L 4cyl (3RZ) engine, it does indeed have a chain, not a belt ( I have that same engine).

In this group, I seem to recall folks recommending getting it replaced at around 120k miles because while it does have a chain, the chain uses 'plastic' guides which are prone to wear out.

The guides wear out, then there's slop in the motion, and then.....

Someone much brighter can elaborate.

Stew '00 PreRunner

Reply to
S.Lewis

Just as an aside though I didn't change the belt on my v6 until 140,000 so, I think the recommendation of 60 for a belt and 120 for a chain is on the safe end of early.

Dave

Reply to
JimmySmitsLovesChocolateMilk