'85 Toyota Klunking Noise when I turn!?

I drive a 1985 Toyota pickup. It has the straight axle and the leafsprings in the front and it doesn't have power steering. When i turn the steering wheel hard or at high speed i hear a klunking noise underneath the driver side of the vehicle. I can also feel something "klunk" under the floor on the driver side. It seems to happen mostly when i turn the steering wheel to the right but also sometimes when i am turning it to the right and then sharply correct to the left. Any idea what this could be? Is it serious?

thanks, Anders

Reply to
Anders

Have someone crank the wheel back and forth while you poke your headaround underneath and see if you can find the source of the noise. Likely its a worn bushing (spring eyes, frame shackle hanger or torque rod), or the draglink or even loose leaves in the spring packs (loose u-bolts or center bolt). Find what is clunking and fix it.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I have an 84 4x4 extracab Toyota. Mine did that after I pumped grease into all of the grease fittings. Felt like somebody hitting the differential with a sludge hammer.

I also had a slight klunking noise once when I would turn one direction. Found out it was a cracked race on the outer wheel bearing.

Anders wrote:

Reply to
Nick

That is wierd because I did grease the steering components but it didnt happen until about 5 days after that. I could be the wheel bearing not sure?

Reply to
Anders

I tried your suggestion, but the problem is that the truck doesnt make the noise when the vehicle is at a dead stop, it only seems to do it beginning at very low speeds. This is wierd but it suggests to me it is possibly a spring. I crawled under the car and checked all of my steering components, but couldnt find anything that was loose. This makes me think that it is the driver side spring, but since I'm planning to replace the springs in a week or two, so i guess I'll leave it for now. Plus the problem seems to have slightly gone away. At least its not as bad as it was.

Thanks Anders

Reply to
Anders

Most common cause of noise like this is the steering stops. They are large hex head bolts with plastic covers which ultimately wear out or crack and fall off. THe little plastic covers cost about USD 2.50 to replace and snap in place. Cheapskates use a dap of grease. Try this before replacing any other part for front end noise at steering limits.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

This is a long shot, but on my '83 I would get a clunking noise at all speeds because the idiots at the tire balancing place put the weights on the outside of the rims, and they would hit the tie rods. Had to drive back (clunking all the way until the weights got knocked off) and have them put tape weights on.

Reply to
Spencer Fowers