Roof rack for 2002 Tacoma double cab

Anyone have first hand experience with a decent roof rack for an '02 Tacoma, or an aftermarket brand that was well designed, regardless of what vehicle you installed it on? I need to carry a canoe, but my hard tonneau cover prevents me from doing any sort of rail-mounted thing.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:08:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter" found these unused words floating about:

I'll be interesteed if you can come up with anything ... I've looked since I got my DC. Other than strap-ons there's darn little out there because there's no rain gutter or decent place to mount a track.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

I've run across a unit which requires drilling. I don't mind that, but the rack is rated at something like 75 pounds. My canoe is right around that weight. Even though I would tie the canoe to the truck at the bow and stern, it would also be strapped to the rack itself, and I'm concerned about torsional forces as the truck is moving.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You do have a rain gutter and they make bracket for it, check at your local bicycle shop.

Reply to
CBR900RR

I'm talking about a 2002 Tacoma DC. There is NO rain gutter, or anything remotely resembling one.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:48:36 GMT, "Doug Kanter" found these unused words floating about:

I think it's Yakima that makes a similar rack for 135# capacity. The problem is that the attachments are the self-expanding screws and I'm not sure of the holding power in that thin top.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

All that model has is a wider portion around the door 'top' and the 'hooks' slip inside and compress the weather seal.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 03:41:22 GMT, "CBR900RR" found these unused words floating about:

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Correct. I know it's a bitch to take down the headliner, but if I did that, I might be able to attach the rack to something more solid. I'm a glutton for punishment, obviously.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yakima and Thule both make racks that work without rain gutters - they clamp around the door frame, with the door closing over the clip. I have a set of Yakimas on our Sienna and have no problems carrying canoes, kayaks, and/or cargo boxes. I have another set on my T100, the one I use most of the time are mounted to the campershell, but for long loads I'll put a bar over the cab (one of those I use on the Sienna) - no problems there either, except I'll carry even more stuff on the truck... Expect to spend about $300 including locks, extra for specialized accessories like bike carriers.

Reply to
Scott Broam

Scott, I used Thule clamps on my Taurus, so other than the foot pack, I already own much of the system. They were secure, but they compressed the rubber molding enough to cause quite a bit of leakage. Any similar problems on your Sienna?

Reply to
Doug Kanter