towing capacity - 2005 Tacoma 6Cyl 6Sp 4x4?

Hi,

I've seen lots of references to the 2005 Tacoma being able to tow 6500 lbs with a towing package, with the V6 and auto - but what is the towing capacity if you get the V6, with the 6 speed manual tranny, and it's a 4x4? I don't necessarily trust the answer I'll get if I call the dealer -- I'd rather get this info from others here in this group.

Sorry if this is on a FAQ somewhere, but I haven't been able to find the info yet...

Thanks

Reply to
eddibaxt

If properly equipped. Umm. You hook up 6500# and take it for a drive. I'd love to hear your report.

Reply to
SBC Usenet

This is right on the Toyota site

4x4 Tacoma V6 6-spd - 6500 lbs max towing with towing package
Reply to
ggal

Manual transmissions should be used for heavy towing only if all the drivers that will be taking driving shifts on the trip are very experienced stick drivers, otherwise you'll likely smoke a clutch or two or roll backwards into someone (or something) on a hill. Not cheap. But they've worked fine for many years when driven right, the automatic transmission is a relatively recent invention.

Forget that you have 5th or 6th gears when the hitch is occupied, you'll rarely be able to use them. Lock an automatic out of overdrive manually when towing, the constant hunting between OD and Third is bad for it. Either way, you need to keep the engine revs up in the powerband most of the time.

4X4 reduces your tow capacity because of the extra vehicle weight.

Whenever you get anywhere near the maximum towing capacity, you'd better be taking it slow and easy and have trailer brakes installed and working properly. It may be able to pull and stop 6,500# worth of trailer that has brakes, but not nearly as well as a 3,000# to 4,000# load.

You can push the towing limits to the max maybe one weekend a year. But if you plan to tow that large a trailer a large percentage of the time (every weekend, all summer, or a 5,000 mile cross-country trip) you need a cushion, it's time to look at bigger vehicles.

No hitch bumpers, you want a welded-on receiver hitch. Oversized is better, because losing trailers in mid-trip is generally frowned on by law enforcement agencies and insurance adjusters. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman