vsc lights weirdness

I've got an '03 4Runner SR5 4wd, and on cold mornings two of the VSC warning lights - 'VSC TRAC' and 'VSC OFF' but *not* the little skidding rig icon - come on during the first half mile or so of driving. They go off after I start the engine first thing in the driveway, then go on a little ways down the road. I can get them to go off if I shut off the ignition and restart, though about half the time the lights come back on again rather quickly. After I drive 3 miles or so, they will stay off.

Of course, this only happens in the morning, so it's going to be tough to talk with the service department about it. It doesn't happen any other time of the day - I live in northern New Mexico, where it's been cold in the morning (15-20 dF), but warms up during the day.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some sage advice about what the problem might be so I could give the service dept some hints. Some relay or sensor or something like that?

Hoping for a clue, Bob

Reply to
Bob Lee

You have a diagnostic problem best bet is to bring it to the dealer and leave it over night so they can get the condition and scan your truck! C

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

The VSC TRAC light on indicates a malfunction of the Vehicle Skid Control/Traction Control system; the VSC OFF light indicates that the Vehicle Skid Control system is OFF and will not function.

Your '03 is still under warranty...best to take it in to the dealer so they can fix it.

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

I know, and I will - I was just hoping somone here might have some hints for me as to which system to be looking at, in case the problem doesn't show for the service dept. I'm a little concerned about that since it only happens first thing in the morning, and I'm not sure I can convince the service dept to start work on it at 7AM.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Lee

Have someone go for a ride with you some morning, and film the whole event with a camcorder. Be sure to get lots of shots of the in-dash clock for time-stamping purposes.

Inadmissible in a court of law, but can be a good diagnostic tool for the service guys...

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

Diagnostic tool? How so? This seems like it might be helpful mostly if I were having trouble getting them to believe me when I described what I was experiencing.

I mean, on a cold morning I drive 100 feet, the lights go on, they don't go off unless I recycle the ignition, and it only happens in the morning. That's it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Lee

Ok, let me rephrase: "...can be good evidence of the problem if it doesn't happen when the service guys look at it."

It's all academic until you actually take it in. Sheesh. Sorry for trying to help.

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

Don't take offense - I'm just trying to find out of anyone here on aatt can give me an idea of what systems might be involved with this malfunction so that I can have a semi-informed discussion with the service department. I'd just like to sort of know what I'm talking about when I go in.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Lee