98 Tacoma 2.7l 4-cyl fuel filter

I've been experiencing reduced performance in my 98 Tacoma. 77k miles 3-fz

2.7l engine. My mechanic recommended a changed fuel filter might help. I bought one but can't find it to replace it. Does anyone know where it is?

chris in tampa

Reply to
Chris Rish

Driver side below intake manifold adjacent to engine block (actually bolted to it by way of a sleeve & bracket). Unless you're very adventurous and somewhat mechanically inclined, I would take it to a pro. What I mean is, it's a pain in the arse. jmho gl

Reply to
gl753

Bolted to the side of the engine way down and hard to get to. I took mine to a mechanic to have it replaced-- he griped about it like crazy!

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Chris,

Looks like this filter is in the same spot as the one on my 2.4. The 'Yota dealer near me wanted $148.00 + tax to replace the filter, which cost me $12.00 at a local parts store.

If you wanna save some cash and do it yourself, :

  1. Unhook the batt cables + drop the starter. This will make access to the bottom bolt much easier.
  2. Use extensions on the bottom bracket bolt, just long enough to go past the manifold. Top bolt can be removed with a small ratchet/extension combo.
3.Pull the filter and lines under the manifold to give you room, put a screwdriver thru the bracket hole for leverage, hold the filter down, and unbolt the banjo caps on the ends. When you put the new filter on, note that it does have an inlet and outlet. 4.reinstall new filter with brass washers, bolt back up to block, etc.

Guy at work told me he relocated his filter to the fenderwell, the lines running to this filter werent long enough for that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve