1971 Westy 1600 Stalling

Hey guys,

Question: When I push in my clutch and hit the brakes, my bus is stalling. It does not matter what gear I am in or whether I down shift to slow then hit my brakes. Both lights (oil/gen) come on when stalled and a quick turn of the key or releasing the clutch while moving gets me going again. I know this is not much to go on, but that is all I have.

I do have some exhaust issues where my muffler is a little wholey and my heater boxes need replaced. Could this be a back pressure issue from my exhaust?

Thank you,

Roger Denver, CO.

Reply to
Roger

'71 should have vacuum servo for power brakes. It sucks a little vacuum when you first step on the brakes which can affect idle, esp if mixture is on the lean side.

It can also create constant vac leak when braking if there is a flaw in the servo valving or diaphragm leak.

To see if the braking system is causing the stalling, block off the vac connection at the manifold. (Don't drive on the road like this, just experiment at home.)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Cool. Will try that.

So at most I have to replace the Master cyl?

I still wish I lived near you. Though we have some good VW shops in Denver, it would be nice to go to a VW GOD rather than just an expert ;)

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Well, not the M/C; the servo is a separate part and you don't want to replace it ($$$) unless it's certain that it's bad. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

not something that can be fixed with duct tape or bondo?

Reply to
Crusader george