Type I Clutch Cable

I have a 1967 Type I Beetle with a stock diaphragm clutch. The clutch cable breaks every couple of years. It always breaks at one of the ends where the cable is crimped into the fitting. It never breaks anywhere in between. I always grease the cable upon installation. Is this common to break this often? Are there any heavy duty clutch cables available? Any suggestions to help the situation?

Note: Remove the "-nospam" from e-mail address to reply.

Reply to
Doug

Good cables should last many, many years. I imagine there is a lot of crap on nthe market now.

See if John can help you:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I sent him the same question but have yet to hear back.

Reply to
Doug

Doug, John C is very quick to respond...if you don't hear from him in a day or so, it is possible that your email was sent to his spam folder.....just a heads up type thing, because John is very quick....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Do you notice any jerking as you move the clutch pedal? Or does the clutch pedal operate very smoothly? I am thinking that something is binding. If the body is rusty then it could even be the body falling down and the top of the clutch operating lever is hitting it.

It could also be the Bowden tube not correctly bent with washers/spacers.

good luck! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Doug

Doug I'm not sure there are any very special cables out there, I've been getting the same ones for many years and haven't had breaking problems.

I would also shop around, you can always get the same quality at a lower price then at aircooled.net. I just visited Sundance Bug and Buggie last weekend in Tampa, it was walking in to a candy store.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

He is. And I appreciate his terse responses.

But ya know, one day John C. will take a vacation and someone will cry a river.

Reply to
2

it has happened before..LOL....but the crying is usually due to emails not being received by John...which reminds me....i emailed John a part question about two months ago....he probably didn't get it...i may resend...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I have had my 67 for 9 years now, and have been fortunate have never had a clutch cable break. Also have never had an accelerator cable or clutch pedal return spring break as I have on other VWs in the past.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

I've had my 70 for 26 years now and I've had 2 clutch cables break and am now on the 2nd accel cable. I carry spares for both just in case.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I have also had several accelerator cables break and finally bought the heavy duty, lifetime one from aircooled.net. It is almost as big as the clutch cable. Don't expect it to ever break. I have had my '67 for 20 years and have probably been through about 5 or 6 clutch cables. Don't know why since everything works smoothly and it never breaks anywhere that would show any wear, only at the ends. The cables just fray and break. I always keep a spare handy. At least it is easy to change. Luckily I have never been stranded on the road. I have always been able to drive home without using the clutch.

Reply to
Doug

I have seen them snap because the wing nut binds, not greased, causing the end to twist up and down. metal fatigue. could happen at the front , too. grease well, any pivot point. happy smileage.

Reply to
Crusader george