1974 super beetle clicking sound when brakes applied

I have a 1974 super beetle and I noticed that when I hit the brakes at a low speed I hear clicking sound like when your cv joints are going bad. This sound goes away when I let off the brakes. I have brand new front german drums and shoes and checked checked everything in there and it looks ok. The back brakes are almost new too. I have this same noise in the past but it would go away. Would this be the cv joints doing this even though it only happens when I hit the brakes? To verify this was only happening then I cut the motor and drifted downhill in neutral with no clicking sound until I hit the brakes at about 20 mph it started until almost at a stop.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lindsay