another drive day on July 30?

Sounds good to me. I have used kill files in certain situations till things cool down and have also ignored topics too.

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

What is STF?

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

............Shop Talk Forums.

....................I've never posted there but, occasionally for me, it's a terrific place to lurk, especially if there's something in particular that you need to know. For example, there's a guy named Ray Greenberg there who posts a lot of great information about the L-Jetronic FI that's on '70s era type1s. He actually covers all of the different Bosch FI systems on type3s, type4 powered buses and 914s as well. There are other well known personalities there as well including Jake Raby and John Connolly. In addition, there are a few 'wannabes' there who post as often as they can regardless of whether they've got anything to really contribute.......sound familiar? A couple of these 'wannabe' experts seem to have enough time on their hands to come back over here quite a lot and 'contribute' even more.........not to mention their 'contributions' at the water-cooled ng and who knows where else?..........sigh.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I vote for you to do "it", Jan. Stafford will make up the list for you...... Just kidding

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

"Jan Andersson" wrote

Skip to the bottom for my vote and comments (long) if you don't want to read the stuff below.

........ The following was copied from another forum ........ ........ I thought it was apropos ..........

How many forum users does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

******************

I consider myself a relative newbie here so I don't know if my vote counts but ... I vote for temporary moderation of the group, Yawn. :o)

I will say that one reason that I like RAMVA and Usenet in general better than most website based forums is the LACK of moderation but I do realize that can often be a two-edged sword at times. I think it is justified at this time.

I know that I probably post too much OT stuff and "chat" too much but the main reason that I hang out here is to learn more about ACVWs. I try to answer questions if I can and I try to only answer if I am 100% sure or if I have had first hand experience with the particular problem or question asked. If I answer but I'm not positive of the answer I always try to make sure I state that.

The flame wars don't really bother me as long as they stay within the thread where they start. I can choose not to read that thread anymore if I wish. It does bother me if the participants start to attack each other in unrelated threads.

I've owned my ACVW for a long time but up until a couple of years ago I only did the basic maintenance myself, for anything more involved I took it to the mechanic. I started occasionally lurking/posting in RAMVA in '97 but I did not start reading or posting here regularly until sometime around mid-2001. Regularly reading RAMVA for the last couple of years has helped give the confidence to try most mechanical repairs myself now, including my first engine pull and top end rebuild a while back. (Incidentally, I took it for a two hour run on the interstate Saturday, just for the heck of it. It was the first sustained high-speed runs I've done in it since the rebuild.)

I try to read every post here and I enjoy reading about every aspect related to our aircoolers whether it be technical, historical, vintage, high performance, drag racing, off-roading ... whatever it may be, I like it all. I love to read others experiences and stories relating to their Volkswagen. I rejoice when someone posts that they have done their first engine build, installed it and it runs or when someone asks for help from the group with a problem and the group helps to solve that problem. I sympathize when someone posts that their aircooler has been wrecked, stolen, burned up in a fire, etc.

I read several forums daily but RAMVA is my favorite by far.

-- Scott '72 Super

Reply to
Scott H.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

you dawg... HEEL!

;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

"cloud8" wrote

Hehe ... I like the saloon analogy. Bill, it already seems to have calmed down quite a bit from a week or so ago ... either that or Jan has been staying up 24/7 deleting most of the inflammatory posts ... but I could crack you over the head with a bottle if you'd like. :o)

Here's the latest pic of Jan:

... and the ammo he's loadin' up in that there pistol:
:o)

Reply to
Scott H.

Anymore flaming on Ramva and Jan will be forced to get his One bullet out of his shirt pocket.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

On 24 Jul 2003 16:04:44 GMT, cloud8 scribbled this interesting note:

Hey, it sounds like a good time was had by all!:~)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

Up till that last part, it sounds like jerry springer.

Reply to
Max

I drove mine also. I have not been around to drive the beetle for a couple of weeks but today I "had" to take her for a spin.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:08:41 -0400, "Scott H." ran around screaming and yelling:

i walked past mine twice...maybe i will run out for some cancer sticks later.. J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I drove mine - but then I didn't really have much choice because I had to get to work and I sadly live many miles from the office ;)

Reply to
mez