BFY, opinions, observations, and experiences?

Just wondering what everybody thought of BFY Obsolete lately. I=92ve had some recent dealings with them and wanted input from others.

Reply to
OLI

OLI, I will never ever order anything from them again, I reported them to my credit card company for fraud after trying to get my parts shipped for several months, they repeatedly lied to me (including the owner) about shipping my order, I was told again and again they were only waiting on one thing and I repeatedly asked them to ship the items they did have in stock so I could get started, they kept promising to do so but never did, huge thread on Samba about them here: long thread, linking in starting in Jan:

fixer33

OLI, I will add that in 2007 I had no problems with them, something has gone wrong in the last 12 months or so. Darrell

Reply to
fixer33

It may be more widespread. Maybe the poor economy has forces companies to reduce their stock, and most items are now back ordered. many companies won't tell you this, unless you ask them directly. "DO YOU HAVE THESE PARTS IN STOCK?"

They will take your order and then forward it to their supplier, who may or may not have them in stock, or may or may not have enough orders to start manufacturing a bigger-than-before batch to meet the demand. Short runs aren't economical to make, so the manufacturer will wait until they are able to make larger volume batches.

For the last year, it has been impossible to get anything (that my customers have needed) from the Bergs, for some reason. Not in stock, and really no clue as to when they will get more. Standard answer. "call back in about a month, we'll see what the situation is then". That's all I get from them. Unfortunately for them, it also means I will then shop elsewhere, because my customers won't wait.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I order parts in jan 09 no problems, but i had order some more parts in feb 09, and man it was a night mare every week i had called on my status and was told they were shipped. Month later still no parts, asked for a refund it took two weeks for that to happen after calling every other day. I found airheads parts are a little more but reliable airhead parts.com.

Reply to
r.williams10

Jan, appreciate your real world experience weighing in on here but that is not what is happening with this business, I live in a lean "just in time" environment and understand when the parts are just not available, this situation is very different. #1 They charge you for you order immediately on placement, prior to shipment. #2 I added a note on my order asking to please advise me of any items that are not in stock. no response #3 Later, I went through my order line by line on the phone asking what they had in stock and what they didn't. #4 They promised to ship the items they had in stock multiple times and promised tracking numbers, the parts were never shipped and no tracking numbers were ever sent, multiple times. #5 I requested to cancel the not in stock items and ship the remaining items that were in stock, this was with the owner, Darren, he agreed to do so and never shipped the parts. #6 Emailed and called canceling the entire order, no response given. #7 I emailed and called informing them I was requesting a refund from my credit card company and reporting them for fraud and still received no response or shipment. # 8 Received a confirmed credit for the entire amount charged minus shipping costs from my credit card company. # 9 Ordered parts from Wolfsburg West and received them the next day, noticed that the package shipped at 7:59PM # 9 30 Days later received a package from BFY that I refused.

All this took place over four months of getting the runaround, shipping today, shipping tomorrow, already shipped, giving you a refund, all lies, I am certain you would never engage in even one of these practices, had they told me they couldn't get the parts I would have been cool with that. Something has gone way wrong with that business starting last year and I am not an isolated incident based on the Samba thread, it is happening to many VW hobbyists. Actually what it reminds me of is dealing with someone on crystal meth, tell you whatever you want to hear and not do it. its sad, hate to see a good company like they were go downhill like this. Just don't want anyone else to go through what I did. Darrell

Reply to
fixer33

My last experience was similar. Up until my last order, they've been great. They were never the cheapest but they always shipped stuff quick, until last year.

Last year fall I ordered the engine shelves (those pieces that hold the engine seal). After about a month of waiting, I asked where they were and was told they were on back order but would be in by some date. After that date rolled by, I asked again. I went through this several times. At one point, I was told they'd be coming in within days and mine would be shipped out immediately. When they didn't arrive yet again, I was again told they were on back order. I then asked for my money back and they stopped replying so they left me no other choice but to call my CC company to get my money back.

I can understand parts not being available but just be up front with it. Tell us it takes four months so we can exercise our options: buying it elsewhere or waiting. Don't take my money and sit on it for four months, outright lying to us when we ask for an update. That doesn't fly.

Reply to
Remco

Okay, I am glad to see that it is not only me, but sorry to see that it is happening to everyone. In July 07 I placed an order with them for over $700.00. Received the order in 10 days; however it was missing 3 parts. When I called I was told that they were on backorder. After waiting 4 more weeks with no word I called and was told still on backorder. I then called Mid America Motorworks, as I live just north of them, and was told they had the parts in stock. I ordered them and drove down and picked them up. It took another 4 weeks to get my refund from BFY. So maybe it was just an isolated goof up. Fast forward to Jan 09, I placed 3 orders in one day. I had done some shopping around trying to get the best price (gotta make a buck stretch) and placed orders with Wolfsburg West, Airheads, and BFY. Same day I had confirmation receipt from Airheads and a tracking number, next morning tracking number from Wolfsburg, all parts received within 5 days. CC was not charged until items shipped, as it should be. BFY on the other hand started giving me excuses from the start. My CC was charged the day I ordered. A week after placing the order I had to call and ask for a confirmation email, it was then that I was told for the first time that =93a few items were on backorder=94 and =93will be in tomorrow=94. This is the same story that I got over the next 4 weeks. During this time I contacted BBB and filed a complaint with them. Then they changer the story to =93I have your order right here and it will go out today=94 for 2 weeks. Next we moved to =93we shipped it out day before yesterday=94 and =93I sorry I can=92t find the tracking number, let me check with shipping and call you back=94, which they never did. After 2 weeks of this story I finally had enough. I called and canceled my order and was told that the refund would be processed tin 24 to 48 hours. Almost two weeks later I called my CC company and filled a dispute with them. Got my money back in 48 hours. Placed an order with Wolfsburg west for the parts that BFY refused to send me and had it is 5 days. Bottom line is that I will never again do business with BFY. All my money will be going to Airheads and Wolfsburg West. I would also strongly encourage everyone that has had problems with BFY to contact Orange County BBB at

. BFY isnot a member of BBB and as such the Bureau cannot force them to doanything, but if enough complaints are filled then the state can takeaction. Please make your voices and experiences be heard.

Reply to
OLI

Their credit card processing broke and saved me from buying there.

Reply to
John J

"Just in Time" often translates to "Just About Broke All the Time".

Reply to
John J