Do you have KYB's??

Thinking of getting gas-adjusts for rear, inserts (struts) front...but the stock shocks are okay...is there an obvious experience of better handling, etc. after KYB's? I can't see wasting $... This is for a '72 STREET Super. thanks - Paul

Reply to
pmbedard

I have KYBs on my '66 Bug and they suck. They are way to stiff and make for a bumpy ride and lately have become noisy, making a thunking sound on the freeway. I plan on replacing mine with the stock style Cofabs which I have on my other two VWs.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I'm sure many experienced volks here will tell you that the KYB gas struts are much too stiff for the light front end of the Beetle. Some have used gas shocks (low pressure) on the rear, and reported good handling, but still a jittery ride. Actually, oil-filled shocks perform quite well when paired with wider tires and anti-roll bars. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for the input. That settles THAT question for me...:+) Paul

Reply to
pmbedard

Not so fast Paul. I guess it is a matter of what you like. I have KYB Gas Adjusts on all 4 wheels. My Car is a 74, dropped front end by spindles, 4 wheel discs and 195's. I love the shocks. Ok if you have a daily rider and stock engine and want a soft ride I can understand. But I have a 125 hp 914 engine in my bug and my normal highway speed is 75 to 80 I need all the help I can get to stay on the road.

The handling is amazing. Then again my other two cars you can hear a pin drop and feel like you are in your living room.

Joe Cali Next Generation - USA

Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Just chiming in with my $0.02..

I have KYB GR-2 struts in my Super with gas-adjust in the rear. I find the fronts to be too stiff in stock form, but not by much with P195r15 Dunlop GT Qualifiers on the wider 5.5" bus rims.

Right now I have 120 pounds of dead weight up front, and the ride is a whole lot better, not stiff.. near perfect. I'll try one 60lbs sand bag instead of two as the steering is a bit too difficult with 120lbs. No motorboating behavior on the highway in cross-winds with the dead weight, neither.

I think Supers are too light in the front..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

David the 195's like you said may play a big role in how stiff the shocks feel. The big problem with the supers and even the regular bug is air get under the front end and lifts the car. My friend has a TO-4 powered super and it is lowered and is much better. Actually the German Autobahn guys that run T-4's in their bugs prefer supers for it better road handling. When I lowered my bug the handling changed completely. Much better, but I had fender rub problems, till I went for the wider fenders. Then the 195 fit all around no problem even with people in the car.

Joe

Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of dropping it only a couple inches. A front air dam might be the ticket... What I should do is a weight distribution test to see just how rear heavy I am and try to get a decent match just the same.

PS. Getting my T-4 engine in a month.. I can't wait :)

Reply to
David Gravereaux

David when you put the T-4 in the bug becomes a completely different car. It is hard to explain. From the massive clutch grip to the endless continuous pull of the engine.. This is not a T-1 put down but a hopped up T-1 is like a small dog on speed, very touchy and jumpy with a short live. You will also notice how the T-4 idles at rpms below 800 easy. Mine will idle at 500 but I was told by Jake Raby lower then 1000 is not good due to low oil pressure.. Anyway you will be amazed. Dropping it is the Key.

Joe Cali - Next Generati>

Reply to
Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Just got my BAS exhaust system today. Over 3 weeks shipping time from Germany!

Did you know that stainless steel is called 'rostfrei' in german? :) Jake finishes my engine next week. I'm so pleased. I'll drop the front. Got'cha.

Reply to
David Gravereaux