thinking of getting a mig

Just a small buzzbox that takes 110. Flux core, but possibly with the ability to take a bottle.

I'm no welder. Except for that one time I stuck an effing screwdriver into a live breaker box. O_O

Looked at this

little Lincoln Electric Handy Mig. Major purpose is to fix the occasional busted lawn chair and mower desk. That and tacking mufflers and other fiddly body bits.

Reply to
DougW

FWIW, I bought one of the Harbor Freight 110V flux wire welders and it works quite well ... as long as you don't need more than two heat settings.

I'm an experienced welder so I can fudge a bit when burning wire but for the inexperienced try to get more than two settings (low / high) on the heat control.

I've thought about seeing if I could install the inductor (heat control) from my 110V buzz box stick ("old fashioned") welder in to the wire welder transformer to give more control.

That said, I've used both to install a 2" receiver tube into the hitch on my

89 XJ in place of the 1 1/4" receiver tube. The weld was strong enough to pull a 8 X10 wooden shed over from one end ... I was trying to pull it apaert, actually ... probably a good, hard 1000 to 2000 pound pull in 4 Lo.

Do you have a friend that can weld? Ask them to give you some basic training ... and get a good automatic darkening helmet!

I used a standard helmet until a couple years back and I'll fight to keep the auto even if it was on sale at Harbor Freight!

Budd

Budd Cochran