How do you pull the Big pulley out???

I've tried almost everything, and NOTHING works, is their a secret to it???

Reply to
Scotty

The crankshaft pulley? There are 2 slots in the pulley to attach a somewhat special puller. Anything else will probably damage it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I was taught by a VW engine builder to use two BIG flat screw drivers, one each side, and tap with a hammer - if you use car, there is no dammage :)

yes I did make a puller too once, that worked too - its in the Muir book

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

a pulley puller?

Heat?

Two large prybars?

All of the above have worked for me.

How to use the puller: Do not tighten it too much, apply just moderate force to it, then tap the pulley with a hammer from various directions. Not too hard either. If you use too much force on the puller, it distorts the pulley and makes it even more stuck.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

What i meant is how do you hold the plley in place to get the bolt out???

Reply to
Scotty

Ahha!

You shove a large screwdriver through the pulley holes, when the holes are pointing at 3 and 9 o'clock. The tip of the screwdriver will then rest against a ledge on the case, behind the pulley. Then you turn the big bolt while keeping the pulley from turning with the screwdriver.

OR, if this doesn't work, you can try popping the bolt off with an air impact wrench. Try with the lower settings first. Don't put the bolt BACK with an impact gun, use hand tools instead.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Thanks all for the help, i got that done today RIGHT before it started raining, and i bend the old pulley at the screw driver place, it was locked on there good

Reply to
Scotty

Impact wrench (no need to hold pulley then)! same tool to remove gen pulley (nut).

greg

Reply to
greg mushial

that will work if you have the engine out....or a baja...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Works fine on a 67T1 - just go through the decklid latch hole, aka, the "insert manual crank here" hole..

Put the socket on the crank bolt, then add 1/2" drive extensions until one can attach the impact wrench outside the skirt - remember that you're removing a bolt that isn't torqued that tight: only 40-50ftlbs; (assuming the pulley isn't rusted on or other nastyness). Some at this point use a pry of some type, but I've found that by pulling with my left hand and tapping with a softface hammer / 2lb rubber mallet with the right they come off pretty easily. (by pulling with the fingers I can feel as the pulley starts to move - once one side has been moved a fraction of a mm, then I move to the other side and start pulling there and tap where I was previously pulling (and work back and forth until it's off). The only gotcha I've found is if I pull too much/far on one side and I get the pulley wedged - then one has to tap it back on and start again (or at least that's the best route I've found).) ... a 3 to 5 minute job if done gently/carefully.

greg

Reply to
greg mushial