74 VW Beetle Standard...engine question?

Greetings all. I have just purchased a 74 VW Beetle(Standard) with 37K miles on with $4200. worth of mechanincal work invoices for past 4 years and only
adding 600 miles during same period(lady driver disliked standard tranny and noisy ride-winter stored).Rubber use looks like low mileage...trying to figure out the engine type. Label on engine states: Engine code AH-A, 97cid,timing 7,5 BTDC-RPM 875 +/-75 idle, oil temp 122-155. Is it a type 1 or 2, or is it a new engine??? Other codes:Electrical-BN2, 201391,27074,Benzin12 volt, 2000, B5-311,261103 Door frame: Card 207 Any ideas ? Still needs moderate body work and new paint job.... Much appreciated, LordPacal
LordPacal wrote:

AH is the engine code. That is the stock engine for '74 Type 1. You can find the complete engine # stamped below the oil stand.
BN2 is a gasoline heater, located under the hood. This was an optional accessory. Worth weight in gold today. Made by Eberspacher. Some info here: http://web.telia.com/~u11107929/html/heating.htm
There is also a gas heater section on my web site.
Speedy Jim http://www.nls.net/mp/volks /
"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.