Ice Storm Causes Near Miss for Beetle/ How Do I Get Ice Off Windows?

We had an ice storm here and a great big tree limb broke off and fell right behind my classic Beetle.

Although some of the smaller limbs fell onto Beetle, they did no harm. The ice that was already on it prevented any scratches.

I am getting away unscathed.

Next time, I will park on the other side of the drive before the ice storm.

I will try and get a digital picture and post it.

What is a good safe way to get the doors unfrozen and to get ice off the windshield?

Someone said not to use hot water since it might crack the glass.

Any help will be appreciated!

Reply to
Jim Ed

As a preventative measure, wipe door seals with silicone or use a door seal silicone stick made for that purpose.

Take door locks apart and clean them well, then lubricate with spray gun oil. (Good to -50F!!) Do not use de-icer for door locks, despite countless brands available.

True for hot water and glass. Bad idea. For the glass, a scraper is the only thing that works, and a cabin heater.

A heavy duty plastic bag filled with hot water, pressed against the door jambs, may help get the seals loose. If it doesn't work, the moisture and water generated in the attempt will cause even more ice to form....

Reply to
Jan Andersson

What about using a hair dryer set on low heat?

Reply to
Jim Ed

Reply to
Jan Andersson

just to be clear ... that would be silicone lubricant ... NOT silicone sealer ! LOL :-D

Reply to
tricky

HAHA! YES!

Reply to
Jan Andersson

:)

Has anyone actually had first hand experience of glass breaking from using hot water?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I use cold or luke warm/tepid water - not hot. but we dont get much below freezing here.

never had a problem.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Yep but it wasn't mine. Also had a cold water balloon hit a hot windshield and it exploded.

Reply to
Randy

You were trying to "deheat" the windshield because the heat haze was annoying? ;)

Anyhow, how do you know it wasn't just the physical impact of the water balloon that broke the windshield?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Mom put warm water on her iced up windshield a few years ago.

Go out and try putting some cold water on a hot windshield and let me know what happens. Hot sunny day. Cold water.

Reply to
Randy

How about a spray bottle filled with Windshield Washer Fluid kept in the house until needed? Spray & wipe off excess liquid when you get down to the glass.

I personally don't like the scrapers since I was told they can put little tiny scratches on the windshield.

Of course a hair blower might do the trick too if you are careful!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I had the opposite happen. Car was sitting in the hot Florida sun, hit the windshield with cold water from the hose while washing the car, and the windshield cracked.

So yes, quick temperature changes will crack the glass.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

I broke my side view mirror once doing that.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I saw a cold window break once from hot rinse water being sprayed on it at a car wash. It was a hot day and they had been using the air conditioner. The windows were cold. When the hot water hit it a side window it broke.

Reply to
Jim Ed