Is a Ghia M.C. different than a beetle?

talkin' about a '69 Ghia, disc brakes up-front, drums rear. Who has the best price on a new (pref. German) master cylinder? and I saw in Hot Vw's a m.c. for 4 wheel disc brakes, would that do? TIA g

Reply to
one who waits

One size fits all (Std and Ghia) with dual ckt:

Google exactly this: vw "113 611 015 BD"

Don't forget to replace *all* the rubber brake hoses; they are now 40 years old!! (if original). And inspect the steel brake lines, especially where the line runs under the pedal cluster.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

thanks, Speedy' as usual a "speedy" response. and what can we do about all this SPAM ? they change their "name" so my kill-file doesn't even eliminate the B.S.

Reply to
one who waits

What spam?

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Google Groups is full of it, luckily i have a server that cleans it up, but to get archives etc i use google and its spammed up like crazy, too bad.

Reply to
Cletus

Oh, I read ramva through a real news server

and I see no spam at all! I use Mozilla Thunderbird for a reader prog. The server account is like $10 a year.

Jan

Cletus wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

We have a mob down in Aust who "remanufacture" slave/master cylinders. They machine out the "bore" and press in a brass insert, redrill connection points, new seals etc etc. Apparently almost an indefinite life time as no rust worries with the brass. Never had it done myself but allegedly cheaper than a new unit. ( at least I think its brass, brassy colour anyway) May be worth investigating John

Reply to
John

John and others

1) Interesting post. I always thought any such cylinders would last about one week, before leaking and becoming useless.

2) Brass is so soft (compared with steel), I thought the piston rubbing back and forth would at least score deep lines in it, or worse, gouge deep chunks out of the brass.

3) Almost reminds me of the "high tech" Vega cars, with aluminum cylinders which would "definitely last forever, because they were specially treated". Love to hear from any of the victims of that propaganda, and just what problems they had with those aluminum cylinders/blocks. Of course, I am talking about all cars which did NOT use steel insert sleeves in the cylinder bores.

Ross Virgin Toronto, Canada ..

Reply to
amboslacker

Yes the Vega engines lasted the "lifetime" of the car. BUT the "lifetime" of the Vega was only supposed to be 2 years! That car, IIRC, was designed to be disposable!

I rebuilt a '73? Vega back in the 70's (good used engine lol, front suspension, paint) and sold it to a friend. AND yes she was still a friend after the Vega died again and then she bought a '73 Beetle.

WOW was it worthwhile (cost efficient) to rebuild this master cylinder?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

we used to find rebuild kits for wheel cylinders. after all most times it was the rubber that wore out. and for the Ghia M.C. , I ordered one from WWW. karmannghia.com for $50 , shipping included. that should do it.

Reply to
one who waits

My buddy Chuck used to rebuild the master cylinders ON the car after taking off the pedal assembly. I used to rebuild them off of the car and rebuild the wheel cylinders on the car.

But how much labor is involved when you sleeve the cylinder with brass after boring it out???? $50 sounds cheap & quick to me to buy & install a new one! ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

there's been some sucess with Nicasil plated cylinders...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Must be a bit pricier down in Aust than in the States. Last one I bought was ~$180 Aust and it was the last one my supplier had. Thanks for tip Jan. John

Reply to
John

And I do like to support a business that offers parts for Karmann Ghias and endangered species. When is the last time you saw a K.G. on the road ? Summer cars now. or trailered to shows.

Reply to
one who waits

and where can I get a Chia Ghia?

Reply to
Chia Ghia

Up-Date; the new cylinder arrived and it was the wrong unit. The q. is what does it fit? It looked a lot the proper unit but the flange that bolts to the wall was rotated like 40 degrees. What would this fit? BTW, I jogged down to Kragen and got a rebuilt M.C. and they gave me back $10 for the "core" It seems to be working just fine. It's for my wife's daily driver and she is very gentle to her Ghia.

Reply to
One Who Waits

Probably a Super Beetle M/C. They are rotated.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I'm giving this company the benefit of the doubt. Somehow the # on the box did not match the # on the M.C. I don't have them now, since I shipped it back. BTW,. When I put the new M.C., in the increased pressure promptly blew out the rather rusty line to the back. I wonder, are there any tricks to get the fittings to start the thread? On the rear(the "T") fitting is a tight space to work. I did do it w/o cross-threading it. But , I've more fun . And thanks again Speedy. ever thought of political office?

Reply to
One Who Waits

My Dad bought a Vega "station wagon" right of the showroom floor. Ugly green beast it was. Swear to God, they gave him money off the sticker because it already had rust on it. No sleeves in that thing. He drove that sucker for 20 some years before it died. The body looked like swiss cheese from it's years in South Dakota (80-87). One day we were driving along and the windshield wipers started swishing away, all by themselves. Nothing we did would stop them. Then about two days after that happened, one of the arms just flew off. Funniest thing I had ever seen a car do. That was in 84. My dad always had a nicer car, but was the kind of guy who would "save the nice car" and drive the crap out of the junker. He drove that thing back and forth from South Dakota to San Diego 6 or 7 times.

Even as reliable as it turned out to be, e always complained that he wished he had TWO Vegas. That way he could throw one of them in a hole, and cover it up with the other one.

Reply to
Skip 66KG Lawson