Oversize Pulley

Where can I find an oversize (7 inch?) crank pulley for a 1600? I want to increase the cooling fan speed. I'm unable to find a source on the web.

TIA

Andy

74 Karmann Ghia
Reply to
A.J.L.

Can't answer the 'where' question, but I'm wondering 'why'? A lot of slow city driving?

Reply to
jjs

I think Chirco sells one...www.chircovw.com. Take a look and see, but I believe they were advertising one a while back in Hot VWs.

Reply to
Volksfan

DUDE,

Why not just find a bit shorter belt and put a coupla' more spacers in the driven pulley?

Should be easier than screwing with the drive pulley, hey?

You also gonna get some OVERSIZE engine tin, huh?

Reply to
Oldbie

site is down until monday, but that's it.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Not a very good idea, as you will pass the fan stall/cavitation rpm during normal operation..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

How "oversized" does the pully have to be to do that? I had gotten a pully from a '1600 that is a little larger than the stock one on my 40 hp motot. Living in TX I figured I should take advantage of all the help I could get to cool the motor in the summer. ((I drive my bug to work on a daily basis.)

Reply to
KWW

I guess I worded that not quite right... It will reach it's stall limit only at max revs, and I do not have the specific numbers on that. I think your setup should be ok, as they always designed in a safety margin..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Bear with me. This is my first aircooled :) The car currently has what is known as a "power pulley", which I know is not recommended. I saw the larger pulley mentioned in one of the VW magazines last year. I thought as long as I have to buy a pulley, I'd look into it. As I understand it, the fan also determines the speed of the air going through the heater channels. So I thought it would improve heating, as well.

After hearing the opinions here, I think I'll just try a standard size pulley so as not to stress parts beyond their intended limits.

Thanks to all,

Andy

Reply to
A.J.L.

A larger pulley does intuit as a good idea, but as you read the ACVW is a nonintuitive engine! :) Now that you are going to a normal pulley, we can revive the thread "SO WHAT'S A GOOD DEGREED PULLEY?"

Reply to
jjs

a good thing to do, but if you want t improve heating, start by reinstalling the stock heater flaps. i could be you a six pack a previous owner took then out...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

site is down until monday, but that's it.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Good choice.When in doubt,go back to stock.My opinion anyway.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

....................It's back up!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

John! Come on back for a minute, please. This isn't about your hardware, but I could use your input.

First, can you think of any legitimate reason a degreed-pulley fit only

180 degrees off? (180 mark at TDC). I am presuming the builder knew what he was doing when he chose this pulley.

See, this engine that's not putting out nearly the power it should. I thought it was fast until I put it against my 1776. It's NOT fast. Not out of the box. Not after timing. Not after adjustments. Not, after 1,000 miles. Not, not. I'd ship this engine to a new builder for a tear down, rebuild and disclosure if I didn't have so damned much money tied up in my new project.

But that silly pulley question is bugging me.

Reply to
jjs

I'm not sure what you are asking. The Big Pulleys we sell only fit one way because of the woodruf key, but the guy who screened on the #s musta' been on drugs because the #s are 180 out (this is explained in our product description: I'm sure the other stores will tell you they are perfect, as usual. LOL)

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

..............I can go to your site just fine starting earlier today about six(?) hours ago.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

You answered the question. I got a wierd part. Maybe the upside-down units are for the Southern hemisphere or something. Yeah, that's it.

Okay, it's either a big joke on me or a screw up for The World's Greatest ACVW Engine Builder.

Want an engine to rebuild, John? I know, "Like a hole in the head." :)

Reply to
jjs

Naw! What you saw was just data pressure still in the lines.

-- jjs - who was a plumber today. water on the brain.

Reply to
jjs

"jjs" wrote

Does this builder not stand behind his engines?

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H