Phut, phut, phut.

I just drove my '67 beetle 1200 miles from CA to WA. When I got here I could here the tell tale phut, phut, phut of loose heads. Went to tighten them up with the 1/2 socket driver and the stud next to cylinder 1 pulled out a bit. Not good.

Called the local shop and they're too swamped to put in case-savers and suggested I put in a self-tapping head stud (8mm is stock in 1500 right?) and see if that works, and if not, we install case-savers at a later date. I've not done this before so before I bore a hole into my case with a self-tapping stud...

Does anybody have a link to a tech article on how to install such a stud? or can point me to where to look in an archive for this group?

thx

griff

Reply to
pauljohngriffin

I think that the 8mms elf-tapping head stud were intruduced on Setember

1972 on the AS21 case, but not sure.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

an original 1500cc case would have come factory with 10mm studs....a self tapping is just that, self tapping...you screw it in....looks like a stepstud, it is larger on the case end than the original...not sure if this means it will slide in through the head and cylinder or if you must remove them first...i've never used a repair stud...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani