fitting '70 std beetle body parts on a '67 std beetle

early last year i introduced my '67 std beetle to a st. bernard. it (the '67) has been sitting in the garage every since, with one headlight shining way left and up at the ceiling ...

things that obviously need to be replaced: front driver's fender, front bumper, trunk lid. and while i'm at it, i'd like to switch from the awful one-piece-windows back to the two-piece-with-vent style.

i have a friend that just sold a '70 body/pans but kept mostly everything else (doors, glass, fenders, etc.) ... can i use any of these parts on my '67? i think the fender is a '67-only thing, but am not sure; and how about the hood? the bumper? door stuff? front/rear/door glass? suspension/other?

and is there a place that lists this kind of information?

thanks, as always!

Reply to
Dewey Hylton

I don't think your going to be able to use any of that. From what I recall, every peice you listed for replacement is a one year only part.

I would hit local swap mets, etc. I just picked up a '67 deck lid, complete with the license plate light assembly, for $5.00 at a local sale :)

Reply to
Tom Shelton

ugh ... think i could at least use the glass? i'm hoping to catch farmington next week; hopefully someone will have something for me there.

Reply to
Dewey Hylton

Not even the glass. The 67 is unique and a 1 off year. Only 67 parts will fit. Good luck

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Are you kidding us? Sure, several 67 parts were unique, but not every doggone part is one-year only.

Reply to
jjs

Just what I have heard. But don't know for sure John. Someone more knoledgable than me will need to address that.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Dewey Hylton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@shmoe.org:

St. Bernard - 1 Beetle - 0

Reply to
cloud8

IIRC Yes some 67 body parts are for the 67 only, but a lot of parts will fit. And don't try to find a 67 Beetle Conv door like I had to do! lol I think I used a 70s rear apron and engine lid on my 66 Beetle. I also believe that 66 and 67 are close.

dave

sad but true. i never saw the dog again though - probably ran off into the woods and started pushing up daisies shortly thereafter. probably good for me; had i simply pissed him off, he was certainly big enough to eat me. i do have a swath of fur still caught between the rubber and the rim - proof of the unfortunate encounter.

Reply to
Dewey Hylton

Dewey Hylton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@shmoe.org:

I hit a deer once in the '69 Bug, but the encounter was luckier for both of us--the three of us, actually. It was in the middle of the night on the Taconic Parkway in upstate New York. I swerved into the left lane to avoid him, but heard a sickening *thunk* anyway. I pulled over to inspect the damage...and so did the guy who'd been driving behind me--and whom I hadn't seen--to ask why I cut him off! I just pointed at the deer lying on the shoulder. In a second it got up and bounded into the woods. The guy was pretty rattled, too, and he poured us both some whiskey. Which got me home, but I didn't sleep much that night. All the bug needed was a new headlight and rim.

Reply to
cloud8

Reply to
Jack Ward

Well f*ck you jack. Since when do you decide what is posted here and what is not. I shall post whatever I damn well please about anything I want. If it is wrong, I am sure someone will tell me, but it aint gonna be you. Please let everyone know when it was that you purchased this newsgroup K?