67 beetle master cylinder spacer

I was helping a friend replace the master cylinder on a 67 bug today, and when I went to remove the two bolts holding the MC to the car I saw that the forward firewall was really 'dented in' around one of the bolts. Apparently there is a spacer that is supposed to fit between the outer firewall panel and the inner one, and the spacer keeps the bolt from damaging the interior panel as well as allowing the master cylinder to be properly tightened.

Anyway, my problem is that I'm short a spacer. I've checked around and I don't see this part available new. I was able to remove the spacer on the other bolt, and it's a fairly thick-walled piece of tubing.

1.090" long, .479" OD, .355" ID.

Does anyone out there have one of these from a wrecked car that they would let go for a couple bucks plus money for shipping? Or, where could I go to find a section of tubing with a .479" OD and .355" ID? Who would sell this stuff?

This car isn't his daily driver fortunately, and I refused to put the new master cylinder in without the proper parts. Thus, the car sits with the forward end hiked proudly into the air. It's ugly right now :)

Any help would be appreciated. If you have a pair of spacers you would be willing to sell(might as well buy both and have a spare..) please drop me an email and I'll get some money on the way.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Get thee to yon hardware store and pick up a 1/4" iron pipe nipple. The ID is .364", OD is .540"

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I've heard rumors of people using stacks of ordinary washers to act in place of a spacer they dropped down in there. *whistles softly*

Reply to
Shaggie

.............I thought of that too, but I didn't want to be accused of using redneck engineering.

LOL

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hey, what are you doing up at this hour?!?!?

Reply to
Shaggie

Ah, but if one welds those washers together first, then is it okay? ;-)

Reply to
Red Bug

As long as they don't "JB" weld them together...

Reply to
Shaggie

.................I was drinking coffee and preparing to go to work.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

A valve guide from a cyl head will work fine, just trim the length.

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
Lantrip