Port and polish

I just talked to a fella re: Porting and polishing my new CB 044's, following is the e-mail he sent. Does that sound like a reasonable price for what I'm getting? Do you think I need this on a mild 1776? I'm sure he's quite good as his flow rates are supposedly through the roof.

Hi, Gary a Full port and polish, including re-re valve guides to do the ports properly and completely, Chamber reshaping to the volume of your choice and manifold porting all the way through runs $500 (Canadian) for the whole deal that includes a 3 angle intake and 2 angle exhaust valve job

B.C. Bugger

Sounds like the Standard going rate to me.

Reply to
Nor-Cal Dave

For a street engine, don't polish the intake ports. Some "natural" roughness on the surface is good for the atomization of fuel. Just port and match port to the intake manifold and do away with the "step" where the valve seat meets the head.

You can polish the exhaust port if you have money to blow, it will reduce carbon buildup and increase exhaust flow marginally.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

................What about on a fuel injected engine? I'm going to be getting a new pair of heads for my L-Jetronic 1679 pretty soon. The injectors take care of the atomization part but I don't want to waste too much time polishing ports unless it's helpful.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

It won't HURT, but whether it's helpful (enough to justify the hours) or not, depends on the rest of the engine. For a mild street engine, I don't see any reason to polish the intake side.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Reply to
Ilambert

Jan kindly offered to walk me through the process via e-mail, nothing too radical though :o) I expect the RPM's to only hover around 8000 mostly ;o) LOL

B.C. Bugger