WD40 instead of wax or polish

I have recently seen a neighbour a few doors down from me polishing or just wiping WD40 on the paintwork all over his car.It looks clean and shiny but is he doing any damage to the paint on his car? I would ask him but don't really know him and don't want to seem nosey I'm just curious.

Reply to
Len

Guy I knew swore by a tablespoon of paraffin to the gallon in the final rinse after washing - cant remember if it was ordinary paraffin or 'liquid' paraffin (pharmaceutical)

Reply to
group_stuff_etc

I imagine it works like T-cut and removes any wax from the car.

Reply to
john

People use it to remove traces of wax from the black bits of plastic. To me its rediculous, as it leaves large unpleasant smears. Use the proper kit instead of being cheap. I just paid =A320 for a 250ml tub of wax but boy does it do the job well!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Even the stuff that costs less than =A310 for 500ml is pretty good.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Cheapskate - buy some proper stuff !! ;-)

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

cleaning Maserati,Ferraris etc who uses a tub of wax that cost £6000.

Reply to
Len

Yep its listed on that site I linked to - Zymol Royale. Mind you, if you are a private buyer (as opposed to a trade detailer) you do get free refills for life!

There are a number of high end car detailers that use it - it is the best stuff you can buy. The detailers who use it will charge maybe £3-£400 & spend an entire day valeting & detailing your car - which, if you are in Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo territory isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things to keep your pride & joy looking like a million bucks.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

I only wish i had that! But since that tub costs twice the cost of my car I dont think I'll bother :) £20 seemed a lot to me (until it worked so well, then i was glad i spent it!). But as mentioned, even £10 wax's are better than WD40, but like all things - they need to be applied correctly.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

T-cut is abrasive, AFAIK WD40 doesnt have any abrasives in it, it will simply fill the tiny scratches and imperfections with its slighly oily residue. Which will then gather dust and dirt faster than ever.

Coyoteboy

Coyoteboy ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, no, no... Pay £20 for the CAR.

Reply to
Adrian

All true. As above, its all relative to what you spend on the car. If you can afford 100 grands worth of car you can probably afford a few hundred quid every 2 or 3 months to get it "pampered"

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

He even used an ultrasonic tool to measure the thickness of the paint/scratches before buffing out the scratches.

That £7k tub of Zymol Royale wax is refilled free for life though. ;) Wonder if there's a max usage (ie. flog it on and then get a refil!)

David Hearn

and another useless fact: arnold schwarzenegger pays some bloke $100k a year just to make sure his fleet of motors is kept clean :)

Reply to
dojj

Off Topic but WD40 is a great alternative to Patination Oil.... Prevents / reduces oxidisation on lead i.e. rain run off stains from lead flashings on rooftiles / slates.

Reply to
group_stuff_etc

Pretty standard bit of kit for high end detailers

Only for private buyers/users. The guys in the detailing business have to keep buying it (though I also doubt they pay £6K for it)

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller