Posting on different forums...

Hey guys,

Do I risk p*****g a lot of folks off by posting a question both here and on the likes of the Samba/Shoptalk forums? What's the netiquette for posting the same question to multiple groups? Different groups do seem to have their own followers; I'm sure most of us tend to frequent them all - particularly when trying to find an answer to a particular problem or get the braodest consensus of opinion.

Or should I just post with impunity and to hell with it?

I have a question about my thermostat... ;-)

- DM

Reply to
Dangermouse

As long as it isn't: "Do I need one?"

HaHa

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Har har, that would get a few responses I suspect, not looking to start a war or anything!

But seeing as I have your attention Jim..., I KNOW you can answer this for me ;)

... ...

Observation: There is more vertical play in the thermostat rod linkage mechanism than the thermostat can actually accommodate when its sitting inside its bracket; i.e. the thermostat by itself cannot go through the full range of motion from 'all the way closed' to 'all the way open' to the same extent that I can by pulling the rod up and down by hand.

- so when adjusting the bracket on the case, should I err on the side of 1) when hot, the thermostat pushes the flaps all the way open or 2) when cold, the thermostat pulls the flaps all the way closed...

My interpretation of the Bentley manual is that the position of the thermostat is set initially with the flaps fully open before it is tightened down into the bracket from below, closing the flaps (but not completely, or not as closed as they could be). I guess this makes sense? More important to have the flaps fully open when hot than fully closed when cold?

I suppose my question then is, is it normal, acceptable for the (cold) flaps not to be as closed as they could be? Or is there some middle ground?

Reply to
Dangermouse

LOL Good sense of humor!

Quote "More important to have the flaps fully open when hot"

Absolutely.

I haven't studied this problem, but I suspect that after 30+ years, the poor linkages have worn the pivot points making for slop (tech term).

On that note, I'll leave it...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

go ahead and post in all of them :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

As long as all the forums you are posting to generally cover the same topic, I see nothing wrong with it.

People who multiple post to any and all forums about political, religious, and other issues are the ones I can't stand.

Reply to
Papa