puma adjustable beam

Hi,

It's me again. I have two upgrades on my mind for my 1972 bug. The first one is the cilinder+piston upgrade in my previous post, and the second is the purchase of an adjustable puma beam. How would the car behave with standard shocks if lowered? I guess the guys at hoffmann-speedster.com don't recommend buying special shocks for no reason...

Also there is a choice between some special shock absorber at 43.50 eur and a red koni at 79.70 eur. Can anyone tell me if the quality is worth the extra cost?

Is there anything I should know before switching my std beam with the puma one? Anything else to buy/replace if I switch?

Thanks and regards,

Damjan

Reply to
Damjan Mozetič

Depends on how much you lower the front. If you lower for 1-2 inches, then the best shoks for the front (and cheapest too) are the stock Cofap shocks (the yellow ones). You will have to remove the rubber stop on the top of the shock to make them work though.

The KONI red adjustable shocks are excelent, but not really needed unless you know what you are doing and know how to dial them in to achieve the same ride as with the stock cofap shocks.

The more you lower the front with adjustable beams, the harsher it will be.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

The problem is I can't get the Cofap shocks, but I can get either some no-name shock absorber or the koni red one. Are u sure we are talking of the same koni shock? Here's the pic:

you can see the selection I can choose from here:
Most probably I'd go about 2 inches down to prevent rubbing... speaking of rubbing, is the puma beam any shorter than the stock one? Thanks!

Re,

Damjan

Reply to
Damjan Mozetič

Yes these are the KONI's I'm refering to. You have to adjust them to the softer setting before installing them, and remove the foam stops that are hidden under the dust cover of the shocks, so that you have increased travel.

The beams are not shorter than the stock, unless they say so. With 2 inch drop and wider wheels on rims with more offset that stock (such as empi 8spoke), the wheels just start to rub in the inside fender lip when braking, but not very bad.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos