some lights work after re-wiring

After recently purchasing a 1969 beetle I decided to rewire the whole thing. I bought the harness from mid-america and am completely happy with it. The directions are easy to follow along with the Bently manual. Only one typo found. The rear running light wires should be switched around. The Gray/Black should be on the 3rd from the left fuse tab and the Gray/Red should be on the 4th from left fuse tab. However, after installing everything I found I had two main problems. 1st, no emergency flasher action at all (I must say that I bought new emerg switch, new light switch, and new emerg, flasher relay). When the light switch is turned on, the driver side headlight is on bright with no running light in front and no lights in rear and the passenger side headlight is on low (very low) with both front and rear running lights working. I have not bought a new turn signal wiring harness yet but followed old wiring to new harness. I must mention one reason for buying new wiring was old owner painted over everything (I mean everything). Also, should I have a 3 or 4 prong emerg flasher realy? The new wiring directions say it does not matter if you do not hook up the speedo light. Sorry if it appears I am rambling but I really love my bug and miss driving it. Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
robertstevenson

If you get a VW flasher relay, you can use either the 3-prong or the 4-prong and still have the speedo indicator work. Not true if you get an aftermarket universal relay.

On the headlights, this sounds like a poor ground issue. Check the ground screws. It could also be caused by wiring for the socket swapped around.

Try and sort that out before getting into the running lights.

If you like, e-mail me. It will be quicker to work that way.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim