starting problem

Had a beetle that came in (push start) for a starting problem,electronic ignition and while your at it throw on some door panels.

Well no dash lights has me looking at the ignition wire harnes to find it melted so I change .

Turn key still now I have oil light but no alt light but beetle starts but the starter won't shut down even when the key is turned off, had to remove battery ( disconnected red wire to solenoid and still turning)

Bad starter solenoid now I'm sure qestion is does this guy need a new altonator? I would have liked giving him back his car but have to wait for a new starter

I'l test the altenator after the starter is fixed.

Anyone ever have this experiance and have the altinator survive?

Mario Vintage Werks resto.

no bondo was used in the repair of this beetle.

Reply to
Kafertoys

I don't see why the alternator would have been damaged by any of this.

Try this test of the GEN light: Remove the Blu wire from the D+ terminal on the Alternator. Ground the Blu wire on the engine case (Key On). If the GEN light comes On, the light and the wiring are OK.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Mario Gavazzi Vintage Werks:

Leopold Stotch