Steering box

I have just taken the the searing box off my 69 Ghia (I am restoring the front end this winter) and although I can find a few articles about adjusting the box I can't find any detailed explanations. What are the two rubber bungs in the top? Is there really no oil or grease in it? is there anything I should be doing while it is off apart from the obvious adjustments for steering wheel play? Does anyone know of any sites on the web that give diagrams or more in depth explanations?

Thanks

Will

Reply to
will

, You need to get the Bentley Manual '66 thru '69. Detailed pics and explanation.

There *is* grease inside. It never needs replacement or "topping up".

It is special low temp grease; if you use ordinary grease, the box won't turn at temps below zero. (Ask me how I know:-)

Be very careful if you attempt to adjust the big nut (bearing preload). The shaft bearings are tiny, tiny ball bearings; a little too tight and....pooof!

Rob and Dave have a section on steering here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim,

I've now ordered the Bentley manual.

So I'm assuming there is no point in me taking it apart, cleaning and re packing with the low temp grease? Turning it by hand it just feels like it is going to be very dry inside.

thanks again

Will

Reply to
will

If it doesn't turn smoothly, there may be a serious problem inside that grease won't fix.

If you're in doubt, pull the top off for an inspection. No harm in that. Once the top is off, you can yank the big roller shaft out (with care so you don't damage the oil seal at the bottom).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

fyi: if you find your box worn out don't get a rebuild get a new one. These steering boxes are not rebuildable. This is what I've been told. Hopefully your box is still good.

Ant> will wrote:

Reply to
anton

I have heard the bug and the ghia use the same "box" but they are installed differently , as the angle of the steering wheel is different. the bracket that holds the box is installed differently between a bug & ghia. look into that. and good luck. g.

Reply to
AYBABTU