Steering column grinding / squeaking noise when turning right

Hello All,

The steering column in my 1974 Type 2 has just started making a sort of grinding or squeaking noise (it's halfway between the two) when turning right. There isn't excess play - a small movement on the steering wheel is still visible at the front wheels, and there's no change in the responsiveness when driving.

Noise only occurs when I'm actually turning the wheel, and the column only seems to grind / squeak when I'm turning between 12 and 4 o'clock - after that it stops. It also squeaks on the return to centre.

I know these sort of noises are difficult to track down (they're annoyingly omnidirectional!) but I'm pretty confident it's somewhere at the bottom of the steering column inside the cab.

Is there something that needs lubricating, or perhaps a bush needs replacing?

It's a RH drive (UK) model if that matters. And the horn's still working

- I know that these things are often interlinked :-)

Look forward to your replies (oh, and Happy New Year!).

Ed

Reply to
Ed Jones

Pull off the metal coverplate where the column goes thru the floorboard. Then inspect the rubber coupling disc to see if it's falling apart (as a first guess).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I'm not familiar with Type 2 but i have the same problem with my beetle, squeaking not grinding. Seems that the hornwire that is connected to the steering column with a spring and a ...(my english fails me here) is making the squeaking sound. My horn is also still working. Maybe a possibility here??

HNY to you too Roger

"Speedy Jim" schreef >

Reply to
bug '59