[SOLVED] '01 V40 won't start (sometimes!!)

Can anyone suggest a focus on this problem. About once a month, my V40 will not start. It is as if the gearshift is not fully in Park....you know, turn the key, and ....nothing!! But the shifter is solidly in park. Not a battery thing, because it doesn't even try to start. Sometimes if I keep trying, on about the 10th try it might start....but usually, I wait until the next morning and it starts fine.

I read there is a circuit that senses the key...and makes sure I'm not using an 'illegal' key. Has that circuitry ever known to fail?

Problem is, if I bring it somewhere it will start fine all day long!

Ugh!!!

Reply to
Dave Edwards

Check the fuses for corrosion. Just remove and reinsert the fuses the next time you have the problem. If that turns out to be the cause, replace every fuse. It will avoid much frustration. (I speak from experience). They're relatively cheap and it's easy to do.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Try the neutral, if it starts OK than it is the switch in park position. It happen on my V40 couple of times.

Cheers

Reply to
J & M Petranovic

There is a bulletin about this same type of issue. This is not the complete bulletin but the 1st page that talks about the problem. Have the dealer print out TNN 36-58 for you. They might refuse to do this. It is a wiring kit that installs under the dash area to correct this issue. This is not warrnaty or a recall. You will have to pay the dealer for the parts and labor to install the wiring kit. BD.

------

NO: 36-58

DATE: 5-1-2007

MODEL: S40, V40

M. YEAR: 2000-2004

SUBJECT: Immobilizer Warning Lamp Lit or Flashing, IMMO-DTC 321

REFERENCE: VIDA

In S40 and V40 cars, the Immobilizer warning lamp may be lit after a successful cold start.

After a restart, or after switching ignition off and on, the warning lamp is not lit any more.

While the warning lamp is lit (engine is still running), Immobilizer Diagnostic Trouble Code

IMMO-DTC 321 is stored. This DTC indicates a communication problem between IMMO-ECU

and ECM (Engine Control Module). When the warning lamp is not lit, there are no IMMO or

ECM DTCs stored.

The customer may also experience intermittent no crank (starter motor not activated) and

flashing Immobilizer warning lamp in the DIM. In most cases the engine will crank normally if

the ignition is switched off and a new start attempt is made. In a few cases, several start

attempts are needed to get the engine running.

SERVICE:

Install service harness P/N 30652280

Reply to
Big Dick