Volvo 940 Turbo Engine

My 940 Turbo Celebration (1998, 160Kmiles)) has a very noisy engine, and I think ineed to bite the bullet and get another one. (it was noisy when I bought it and sounded like tappets, but it isn't and it's gradually getting worse - suspect either a big or little end) The engine type is a B230FK. I've seen a couple of engines for sale on EBAY, but from older cars with slightly different numbers (eg B230ET). This is fine if they will fit, but I don't know which ones are suitable.

Does anyone know which engines are compatible. I intend to use the existing turbo, manifolds, head if necessary (assuming the camshaft in my engine is matched to the ECU setup) and stick with the current injection system. All I'm really looking to change is the block.

Any advice would be most gratefully accepted.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth

This is likely a piston slap. Is louder when the engine is cold? If the engine does not use too much oil I would not worry about it. If the oil was changed at regular intervals, 160Kmiles is not a lot even for a turbo.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Thanks Boris, but it isn't piston slap. It gets worse as the oil gets hot, and the engine doesn't use any oil at all (which I would expect with worn rings or bores).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth

You need another B230FK or a B230FT. Both are identical blocks, the difference is the turbo pressure, the B230FT produces 165 (european) hp. B230ET is an older engine without catalytic converter and uses a different ECU.

Bye, Vitus

Reply to
Vitus Jensen

Thanks Vitus, that's exactly what I needed to know. Do you happen to know if cars fitted with these 2 engine models are fitted with the same ECU? If I can find an engine complete with a bigger turbo, will I get extra power without changing my current fuel system?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth

Hi Steve! Both engines use the same ECU (Bosch LH 2.4), they use the same turbo, same exhaust etc and were sold for the same price here in germany. The difference is the bypass valve on the turbo. Or more exacly the length of a rod between pressure capsule and bypass valve, mounted to the turbo. On the B230FT the rod is adjustable and has a different length.

You could mount the capsule from a B230FT and get more power. Or you could buy something like the Dawes Controller (google) and get easily adjustable turbo pressure. I did buy that controller for my B230FT, it was fun to drive :-D

Vitus (currently driving a B6254)

Reply to
Vitus Jensen

"Steve Shuttleworth" wrote in message news:2kkxi.21128$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

Are you *sure* the noise is internal to the engine? You may have already checked this well, but look very carefully for noisy accessories before condemning the engine.

Reply to
James Sweet

bet you didn't use synthetic oil like mobil 1 or equivalent

Reply to
John Robertson

Shouldn't really matter, synthetic will extend the life of the turbo, but plenty of these motors have gone over 250K on dino oil.

Reply to
James Sweet

By the sound of it, I think it's one of the big ends - it is certainly louder around the sump than anywhere else. A bit anoying really. This is the 5th 740/940 i've owned, it's the newest by quite a margin and it's the only one that's ever given me any problems. The only saving grace is that I didn't pay a lot for it (bought it off Ebay) and it's quite a nice car in most other regards.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth

Once again Vitus, many thanks. I have managed to find a suitable engine for sale (B230 FT) at a reasonable price and the work starts as soon as I get the engine home on Monday. I'm very grateful for your help.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth