90 Golf Coolant light

1990 Golf 8v

For the last week, the coolant light blinks about 1 minute after I start the car in the morning.

If I open the coolant overflow tank it goes away till the next day. I can start the car 100 times and the light will not come on other than normal when you start.

I have done nothing to the system in the past 6 months. I thought it might have a bubble but where could it come from.

But what makes the light blink after a minute or so after starting and why does opening the tank, then closing it, make it go away?

Reply to
Dave

And why does this not happen if you turn the key from off to almost on, wait til the light quits blinking and the door chime quits chiming, and /then/ start the car? Replacing the coolant level sensor in the reservoir doesn't fix it either. Coolant level is between the min and max marks, temp gauges never approach critical either.

1987 Scirocco 16V.
Reply to
René

Perhaps your coolant level is slightly low. Try adding a bit more.

Reply to
Papa

I guess you misread my post. It DOES NOT happen when I first start the car.

After the car has been running for a minute or so THEN the light starts blinking.

Reply to
Dave

Right, I did get that. Relax. Same happens here (capitalized for emphasis above), but the coolant level light /should/ blink when you turn the key and then turn off when you start the car (bulb check). _If_ I start my car as dscribed above, the coolant level light will not start to blink after a minute; otherwise it behaves like yours.

Reply to
René