91 Golf: Stick reluctant to leave 2nd gear?

Hello all,

I have a 1991 Golf diesel that is having some trouble shifting. Mostly it works fine, but since yesterday afternoon it is sometimes a little rough shifting out of second and third (mostly second). It shifts IN to every gear with no resistance, however.

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue by moving the stick around with the engine stopped and the clutch pedal out, though I may have not tried hard enough.

The problem seems to show itself mostly when I drive from a stop going into first, then second, then slow down and stop and try to exit second. If I'm shifting up into third it has always been smooth. Third gear is a similar scenario.

When the stick gets stuck, it has some play, but it feels like it's getting stuck on something to prevent it from exiting gear -- I push it out and it pulls slightly to the side, then won't move any further. I have been getting around it by pulling it back, wiggling it, and pushing it again. Third gear will usually give if I pull it out with a little more force.

I have spent a while now looking for suggestions on this newsgroup already for this problem I'm having. I took the car into a garage and they told me they checked the gear oil and it looks fine, and maybe second gear was "on the way out". When I got in the car to leave the garage and started it, I couldn't get it out of first or third gear (not sure which -- but it moved freely when I stopped the engine, maybe by coincidence). I wasn't convinced they checked it sufficiently and am open to new opinions.

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Reply to
Mike Burke

-- snip --

Okay, I have looked at it a bit more and have noticed the following behaviour:

When I'm in a gear, whether first, second or third (and probably fourth/fifth), if I engage the gear and drive up to the point where I should be shifting up, but then back off to a point where I should be downshifting, the gear is extremely difficult to disengage. For first gear, it was stuck to a point where I almost could not shift out of the gear at all.

Again, shifting into a gear is never a problem, and the gears behave fine when I'm in them, even if it's stuck. However, it feels as though the car backs off very slightly when I do get out of a "stuck" gear.

Still looking for help!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Burke

-- snip --

Ok, final post on this. I suspect maybe the clutch plate was wet and "grabby" or something similar, as suggested in archives of this group. Regardless, I just drove home (~0.5 hour) and tried to reproduce the problem and could not at all. It worked fine.

I am guessing it was probably related to some recent work that I had done a couple of days ago. Will continue to keep an eye on it anyway.

Reply to
Mike Burke