94 Jetta GL / weak low range

Folks:

I came across a deal I could not pass up: a 94 Jetta 4 cyl GL, 5 speed w/ 125k

He replaced the timing belt around 95k and has serviced the vehicle every 3k. Here are my questions:

  1. Any issues (e.g. systemic high mileage problems I should look for/correct)?

  1. The A/C in inoperative. Could be just a recharge job or worse (leak, compressor, condenser, et al). Do these cars have a history of Bad A/C and if so, what is the usual cause?

  2. The most unusual thing is the lack of row range torque. I had a 89 Jetta and enumerable manual transmissions and this is the first to exhibit this trait:

She really needs to be reved high (almost like racing) to shift smoothly. In first gear, you cannot drive leasurely through a parking lot at 5 mph...she jumps.

Also, backing off the throttle, she'll jump again.

Now running high end like a Porsche, she just sings. I just cannot zip through the Piggly Wiggly parking lot at 40 mph.

Any ideas, thoughts, etcetera?

Thanks....

Walt Mattil Birmingham, Alabama

99 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD 02 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Crew Cab (Spouse's) 94 Jetta III GL that acts like a Porsche
Reply to
WaltMattil

Thats exactly what my 97 Jetta acted like with a worn clutch. At high rpm the thing shot along like crazy but barely enough torque to make it up a hill from a stop.

Trent

-- "Work is the scourge of the drinking classes."

-- Oscar Wilde

Reply to
Trent Liles