95 GTI transmission rust?

Hi all,

A friend of mine bought a 95 GTI in Michigan (read: may have some underbody rust) and drove it out to San Francisco. She took it into an independent VW repair shop for a clutch replacement, and the mechanic told her that she "probably is better off buying a new car" because he didn't want to touch the transmission or "anything down there" because of rust. This is really the only explanation she's been given, and now her car sits, untouched.

Is this situation feasible? I have never heard of a transmission rusting. Could the transmission bolts be rusty and/or seized, and the mechanic doesn't want to waste time fooling with unseizing them? Does the "buy a new car" recommendation sound like hooey?

I would love some opinions on this, and possible interpretations of what's going on exactly. Very much appreciated, thanks!

Reply to
pravinkpant

none2u

It could be, in fact, that he doesn't want to work on it because of excessive rust of the undercarriage and components...However, I, just today, opened up an automatic transmission from a 1988 Golf and it had rust in it. The steels weren't rusted much, but the clutch discs....or I should say the base metal disc that the clutch fiber material is affixed to, was rusted. As a result, the fiber material had broken free of the base metal disc, was ground up to a fine sludge by the friction generated between the "steels" and clogged up the valve body like you wouldn't believe. At $50.00 per fiber disc (a price from a local VW dealership) it wasn't worth the repair. There was also visible rust in the upper part of the tranny where there is an air pocket.

Don't know if this helps, as I am a novice, but info is info....

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

I replaced a clutch in an '89 Golf. The corrosion on the trans was so severe here in Chicago, that the bolts were corroded in the trans for the rear mounting bracket. So it did require another piece of the trans, but that was the worse thing I have seen that pertained to doing a clutch job.

And cars I see from CA are so wonderful to work on. NO RUST PENETRANT NEEDED! AHHH just like in my dreams. lol That CA mechanic is just a little "rust-challenged"! Find a mechanic that can handle a little challenge.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1