2000 VW Passat MAF problem

I have a 2000 20V 4 cylinder Passat (ATW engine). I have had problems from 50K to the current 80K miles. Most problems are the ABS Module, O2 sensors, and the MAF. The most recent diagnosis from the dealership is a bad MAF sensor. They want $500 to replace but I have found them online MUCH cheaper. My question is, where is the MAF? I've looked around and can't seem to find it. Is it hidden under something? I've seen posts that say replacing it is a 15min job.

Reply to
10ecvols

LOL! I love these posts...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Make sure you check the connector before you buy a new MAF. Checks will lead to a bad one when it could be the connector. Many dealer checks and two MAF replacements finally found the connector to be bad on our 2000 Jetta 1.8.

PS. Buy yourself a manual and learn the locations of the components if you plan on working on it yourself.

Reply to
lobo

Thanks spiderman and lobo, but I was looking for a little help in locating the part. It may be inside a case or something? I know what the part looks like I just don't see it looking from the air intake to the throttle body but I'm sure it's there. I'm looking for some help, i.e. the O2 sensors are in the front and rear of the catalytic converter for example. I'm fully capable of doing the work, just thought rather than start tearing into the engine, I'd get a better idea of where to look. Thanks to anyone that can help.

lobo, when I find the MAF I'll definatly check the connectors first.

Reply to
10ecvols

Hold on there, cowboy. Don't do one more thing until you've purchased the Bentley manual for your car. Sit down, take a deep breath, read the section in the manual that describes MAF location, removal and replacement, and then go to work. No offense, but if you were about to "tear into your engine" without any idea of where the MAF sensor is... well, let's just say, buy the manual first.

Reply to
Brian Running

It's inside the air cleaner housing.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Hey Woodchuck - thanks for getting in the right place - that's all I needed. It took me about 20 mins to change it out (I could it again in about 10 mins). Bought the OEM part online for $60. If you can change out your air filter you can do this - easy. The MAF is in the housing with the air filter. Dealer here is trying to rip off people for $500. Hopefully this post will save someone else some big bucks.

Reply to
10ecvols