Automatic Locks

I purchased a 2000 Passat Wagen froma non VW dealer. The door locks engage at 10mph. The local VW dealer states they cannot turn this function off for safety reasons. Is this true?. If not, how in the world do you stop this annoying feature.

Reply to
rvwenger

WHY? You could either lock the doors before driving thereby not having to hear the locks locking while driving. ;-)

Or maybe (and I don't like these options) You could disable the locking system and then have to lock/unlock the doors manually. Possibly it could be switched off using a scanner tool that can modify the ECM.

Reply to
One out of many daves

Yeah, really - what's the big deal?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

That is dead wrong. It is 12.5 mph. (18kph)

In any case, what is so annoying? You get a slight click and it will keep one of those freaks who want to wash your windows at the stop light from opening your door.

For the record. I have heard of some people who have figured it out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I am pretty sure you can turn off the feature- you just need to find a private party with a VAG-COM scan tool. Or find a dealer with a more reasonable attitude toward customer service. Better yet, seek out a private garage that specializes in Volkswagen and/or foreign cars.

I recently purchased a 2003 Jetta and noticed that unlike my 2001 Passat, the doors, once auto-locked did not unlock when I pulled the key out. I borrowed the scan tool and turned on the setting for "Auto-Unlock". Presto. My doors still autolock because My wife wanted them that way but I recall there is also a 'on/off switch' for that feature.

Another thought... you could try looking at other online groups such as tdiclub.com or vwvortex.com or bentleypublishers.com. You might be able to locate a person with the scan tool who is willing to help out.

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

Reply to
Mark