Brake grinding - 99 Jetts A3

The rear brake shoes grind during wet weather.

Sounds like gravel in the drums.

It clears up if I activate the brakes for 15 - 20 seconds, but recurs if it sits for an hour or so. No evidence of grinding in dry conditions.

The dealer says it is a common problem, because of the shoe lining material - changed since asbestos was removed from the market.

Is anybody aware of a fix?

Reply to
Jack

Possibly rust from wet weather? Oxidation quickly forms on the front discs (rotors) if left for a while wet. Although I've never heard of it making a noise. Only thing I could advise is replacing the drums, its a pretty cheap and straight forward job.

Reply to
Joe

come to think of it what's an A3 doing with rear drums?

Reply to
Joe

er... um.... they do help the car stop....!

(Couldn't resist - thanks for taking the time to reply, Joe!)

They are factory - maybe has someth> >> It clears up if I activate the brakes for 15 - 20 seconds, but recurs

Reply to
Jack

Move to Arizona!

Reply to