Brake grind

OK, why does the rear brake (driver's side, I think) grind on my '69 Beetle the first couple of applications after having sat for a few hours to overnight? Seems worse when the weather is wet (like it is now). Once we get past the grinding, it's OK the rest of the trip. No pulling or anything else.

Haven't checked the linings from the peep holes yet, since it's been raining all day. Even though I have a garage to pull in to, the car will be dripping all over me.

Might have to go buy a breaker bar and a 36mm socket and start checking things out, I guess.

Malcolm '69 Beetle

Reply to
Malcolm

OK, why does the rear brake (driver's side, I think) grind on my '69 Beetle the first couple of applications after having sat for a few hours to overnight? Seems worse when the weather is wet (like it is now). Once we get past the grinding, it's OK the rest of the trip. No pulling or anything else.

Haven't checked the linings from the peep holes yet, since it's been raining all day. Even though I have a garage to pull in to, the car will be dripping all over me.

Might have to go buy a breaker bar and a 36mm socket and start checking things out, I guess.

Malcolm '69 Beetle

Reply to
Malcolm

The inside of the drum gets a coating of rust on it - nothing unusual - If you look at a disc braked car after it has sat in the rain, you can see the rust formed on the disc.

If the pads are down, it can grind too, but it usually doesn't stop after a few applications.

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

Maybe it's just Surface rust....