Cam belt replacement period

I've just received a letter from the dealer who sold me my Polo to say that the cam belt's now 4 years old and hence needs replacing. However, the service part of the car manual says that it should be replaced at

60,000 miles. I've done 56,000 miles.

Can I leave the cam belt safely for another 4,000 miles (which should take anther 6 months or so at the current rate), or should I go for it now?

Thanks in advance, RDD.

Reply to
Red Dave

Can you? Yes.

Safely? After 4 years and considering the consequences of not changing it? That is an entirely different question. Go for it, and take your risks on something else... like actually asking that potential SO that you have been too shy to ask out on a date. The consquences are much less dire.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Thanks for the helpful reply! ;)

Reply to
Red Dave

56K is a good time to get the service done. In 4 years, depending on where you are located, the heat and cold could have cracked and stretched the belt. Have it checked or check it yourself if you are not all thumbs. ;)
Reply to
Peter Parker

In my 2.0l gas, which supposedly has no replacement time but 60k is commonly suggested, the belt quit at 59,996 miles. Problem is, the belt can't see the odometer from the engine bay :)

Just get it done.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

JMHO On the 2.0l that was premature failure of a timing belt. I have seen some

2.0l 8V gas and some 1.8l 8V gas timing belts last over 140K miles. Of course I have not seen the belts go past 140K by much. ;-) On the 16V engines I recommend 45K since I have seen them break at that mileage. I think I have seen a 1.8t engine with 94K miles on the original belt. I keep telling the owner CHANGE IT NOW before it is too late.
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The A3 2.0L replacement time I always used was 60K. Are the belts supposed to be longer lasting now or are there longer lasting ones available?

Reply to
Peter Parker

JRE

Reply to
JRE

I have seen some 8V timing belts last up to around 140K miles, but this is somewhat rare. They should last up to about 100K miles IMHO.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks but no thanks. I don't use third party parts if I can help it.

Reply to
Peter Parker

So...first of all...who do you think makes the OEM parts? The elves at the North Pole? Not a lot of manufacturers make timing belts. Though I've no idea whether or not it's so, it would not surprise me to learn that VM OEMs their timing belts from Gates. (After all, BMW OEMs many or perhaps all their automatic transmissions from General Motors.)

Second, there was some discussion about how long the change interval was for the belt. Oddly enough, Gates publishes this guide, which you can find at that link if you take the trouble to look, that tells you the change interval for (near as I can figure) every car that *has* a timing belt *and* whether the engine you care about at the moment is an interference engine. Further, this document is available on their website at no charge--a pretty good deal, and worth more than you'll ever pay for it.

I care not whether you buy a belt from the dealer or from a parts store, or whether the latter carries Gates belts. You see, I don't work for them or own any of their stock (though that's a thought, come to think of it). On the other hand, I don't hesitate to use their belts--even their timing belts on cars my family owns--and I *do* appreciate the fact that they publish this nice guide and keep it up to date.

Do whatever you want. I honestly don't care. But I post that link on a regular basis on the few automotive newsgroups I follow when questions like this arise. Not because I expect anyone to "buy Gates," but because it's *useful*.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

When you posted the link , I looked and then added that link to my useful URL list. So I thank you for it and I will post it for those who'll find the information there useful too. I seldom buy parts from the auto dealership if there is another option.

Reply to
samstone